What's new

SOLVED: very asymmetric UL/DL speed on 2.5G line

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Mikii

Regular Contributor
Hi. I recently got a 2.5/1 Gigabit line at my home. I have a RT-AX88U Pro, and the line uses a 2.5 gigabit FG1000R SERCOMM ONT with firmware ver. V1.03.30.038.
I notice a very odd behaviour in terms of download speed. Here's some cases:

A). If I try the speed test either on the ASUS graphic interface or on the ASUS via shell, I get results in this range:

Code:
Speedtest by Ookla

Server: EOLO - Milan (id: 11427)
ISP: PianetaFibra
Idle Latency: 32.16 ms (jitter: 0.13ms, low: 32.04ms, high: 32.55ms)
Download: 1298 Mbps (data used: 1.5 GB)
120.76 ms (jitter: 51.11ms, low: 30.91ms, high: 554.47ms)
Upload: 97 Mbps (data used: 167.3 MB)
32.45 ms (jitter: 0.82ms, low: 30.51ms, high: 40.68ms)
Packet Loss: 0.0%

B. If I connect my MacMini via an USB C 2.5gibabit dongle, I get similar results to case A.

C. But if I connect any 1 gigabit device to any ASUS port (including the ASUS 2.5 Gigabit port), I get this kind of results:

Code:
Speedtest by Ookla

Server: CDLAN S.R.L. - Milan (id: 8211)
         ISP: PianetaFibra
Idle Latency:    31.95 ms   (jitter: 0.13ms, low: 31.60ms, high: 32.00ms)
    Download:   943.55 Mbps (data used: 1.2 GB)                                                  
                 37.78 ms   (jitter: 7.82ms, low: 30.70ms, high: 273.12ms)
      Upload:   558.04 Mbps (data used: 632.4 MB)                                                  
                 31.67 ms   (jitter: 0.90ms, low: 29.89ms, high: 45.78ms)
 Packet Loss:     0.0%

in short: when connected to a 2.5 interface, the upload speeds drops to 100 megabytes.

The ISP keeps saying this is my router problem, I am pretty sure this is either an ONT or fiber cable setting problem.
Anyway, are there any settings I could try on the ASUS?

Thanks!

Well, if your ISP is anything like mine, you need to call back and get a different rep. Some times it will take me 3 or 4 different tries. If you are having issues without your router being in the mix, it's their problem I would think.

You didn't include results of the Mac Mini wired directly to the ONT in place of the router, so, since you never removed the router from the equation, who can say whether it or the service itself is the limiting factor.

I'm also wondering if the USB dongle could be the problem.

I've seen similarly odd asymmetrical results with a 2021 MacBook Pro and a Ugreen 2.5Gbps USB-C-to-Ethernet adapter. My results weren't terribly reproducible, and I was never quite sure whether to blame it on the MacBook or the adapter or the connected equipment. I've seen some comments to the effect that 2.5G Ethernet isn't as well standardized or compatible as we've grown used to with prior Ethernet standards, and I'm prepared to believe that based on my limited experience.

Hi all, thanks for your suggestion.

I know how to connect my computer directly to the ONT, but I am not sure I know how to enable the internet connection directly from my mac computer without going through the router. On the Asus is set to PPoe + i need to insert a VlandID.... I'll investigate....

I have tested the USB dongle <---> Router connection with iperf, and I get 2.3 gbit. Plus, a problem between the computer and the router would not explain the low speed of the test run directly on the route side?

Mass manufacturing is what it is, but assuming the QC check on a finished product is any kind of comprehensive at all, it seems an "issue" with any individual unit being shipped would be entirely possible.

You're getting good connectivity to the LAN port with the USB adaptor. The upload speeds via 1Gb ports looks good enough, but the other looks bad. Can you set up one of the LAN ports (especially the 2.5 Gb) as a "failover" WAN port and force its use instead for testing against the ONT? Is the cable connecting the ONT to the router entirely functional (got a spare to swap in?)?

Mass manufacturing is what it is, but assuming the QC check on a finished product is any kind of comprehensive at all, it seems an "issue" with any individual unit being shipped would be entirely possible.

You're getting good connectivity to the LAN port with the USB adaptor. The upload speeds via 1Gb ports looks good enough, but the other looks bad. Can you set up one of the LAN ports (especially the 2.5 Gb) as a "failover" WAN port and force its use instead for testing against the ONT? Is the cable connecting the ONT to the router entirely functional (got a spare to swap in?)?
HI Glens,

Thank you for your suggestions.

From what other people in Italy are saying about the FG1000R SERCOMM ONT with firmware ver. V1.03.30.038 that my ISP installed, it looks like a firmware bug. The solution seems to be to replace the ONT with another model (there is no update so far). The hard part is to convince my ISP to do it.
I tried to request this last week, and I got a call back from the tech department telling me that to fix my problems I had to switch off their white router (not ONT) "the one with the green or red lights, they may be blinking" for a while and then restart it.:eek:

The ONT came with a Cat 5e factory cable. For the ONT--ASUS connection I used a factory made CAT 7 instead. I replaced it with another one (this was a good and a very logical point), but the problem persists.

I am not sure how to set up one of the LAN ports (especially the 2.5 Gb) as a "failover" WAN port and force its use instead for testing against the ONT on my RT-AX88U Pro. This can probably be done, but I'd rather not mess with the ASUS configuration right now. I reached a very stable and satisfactory configuration and I do not want to risk messing it up.

Next Monday I'll try again to open another service ticket telling my ISP that I need to replace my ONT because my cat was playing with it and he broke one of the plugs. Maybe they'll understand this better than "it looks like your firmware V1.03.30.038 is faulty and I need to test another ONT model to be sure."

I'll keep you posted If I reach a solution, as this may help other people in the future.

Cheers.

Next Monday I'll try again to open another service ticket telling my ISP that I need to replace my ONT because my cat was playing with it and he broke one of the plugs. Maybe they'll understand this better than "it looks like your firmware V1.03.30.038 is faulty and I need to test another ONT model to be sure."

Dunno about your ISP but every one I've dealt with that will result in you paying a pretty hefty charge.

If it uses PPPoE, have you made sure the MTU value on your Asus has been set to the correct size? Shouldn't have that big of an impact on speed but worth checking. Since it uses PPPoE you have no way to test directly connected with your PC (there are probably clients you can install but who knows how they will perform or if it will even connect). I'm assuming you don't have their "approved" router to test with?

Are you saying when the WAN is connected at 2.5G but the LAN device is 1G, you get better performance, only when using the 2.5 LAN port you get poor results? If that is the case I don't see how it would be an issue with their ONT. Or is it when the WAN is connected at 2.5 it is poor and when 1G it works fine?

Dunno about your ISP but every one I've dealt with that will result in you paying a pretty hefty charge.

If it uses PPPoE, have you made sure the MTU value on your Asus has been set to the correct size? Shouldn't have that big of an impact on speed but worth checking. Since it uses PPPoE you have no way to test directly connected with your PC (there are probably clients you can install but who knows how they will perform or if it will even connect). I'm assuming you don't have their "approved" router to test with?

Are you saying when the WAN is connected at 2.5G but the LAN device is 1G, you get better performance, only when using the 2.5 LAN port you get poor results? If that is the case I don't see how it would be an issue with their ONT. Or is it when the WAN is connected at 2.5 it is poor and when 1G it works fine?

Hi and thanks for your insight.

The problem I am getting is this:
On a 1G LAN device, I get a download and upload speed in the range of 900 M.
On a LAN 2.5 device, or directly from the router (either with the built-in speedtest or with a custom linux installed app), I get speed in the range of 1.6 download, but upload drops to 100M.

Luckily, the ONT was just installed and I am counting on them replacing for free. The problem is if they have the working one. Italian forum say that an "ONT zte f6005" might work.

I don't think that the ISP's "approved" router has more than one 2.5 g port, which of course is used for the ONT-Router connection. This is one of the reasons why it is so hard to make them understand the problem...

Likely you've already investigated this but I'd like to know.

Does the ISP's router have the ability to perform a speed test, and if so, what can it achieve for upload when connected to the ONT via its 2.5 Gb port?

If it works well, do you have access to its settings such that you can duplicate them on the Asus unit?

Likely you've already investigated this but I'd like to know.

Does the ISP's router have the ability to perform a speed test, and if so, what can it achieve for upload when connected to the ONT via its 2.5 Gb port?

If it works well, do you have access to its settings such that you can duplicate them on the Asus unit?

I am not sure if and how the ISP can provide real speed test between my ONT and their network. I got a call from one technician and they told me my network configuration on their side is 3G download and 1G upload.
I am trying to get a technician to come home and test it from here, but the one who was here last week told me they can only test 1G connection. If the technician comes to my home, He might as well change the ONT....

Hi and thanks for your insight.

The problem I am getting is this:
On a 1G LAN device, I get a download and upload speed in the range of 900 M.
On a LAN 2.5 device, or directly from the router (either with the built-in speedtest or with a custom linux installed app), I get speed in the range of 1.6 download, but upload drops to 100M.

Luckily, the ONT was just installed and I am counting on them replacing for free. The problem is if they have the working one. Italian forum say that an "ONT zte f6005" might work.

I don't think that the ISP's "approved" router has more than one 2.5 g port, which of course is used for the ONT-Router connection. This is one of the reasons why it is so hard to make them understand the problem...

Only thing I can think is when you try to exceed 1G upload, there is heavy packet loss resulting in the very low upload speed. Look for a speed test app/site that reports packet loss and see.

But the fact that you can get 900M upload from a 1G LAN device points more toward your router or LAN device than their service honestly.

Ok, My ONT was just changed today with a ZTE F6005V6.0 Software Version V6.0.10N20.
No changes on the router. Still getting 100 m upload speed on a 2,5/1 Giga line.

some people are pointing me to flow control, but I never used it and it looks quite complex to me. However, if someone wishes to suggest any test for my case I'd be happy to do it.

Code:
fc status
    Flow Timer Interval = 10000 millisecs
    Pkt-HW Activate Deferral rate = 1
    Pkt-HW Idle Deactivate = 0
    Pkt-SW Activate Deferral count = 0
    Flow Low Pkt Rate = 10
    Acceleration Mode: <L2 & L3>
    MCast Acceleration IPv4<Enabled> IPv6<Enabled>
    IPv6 Learning <Enabled>
    L2TP Learning <Enabled>
    GRE Learning <Enabled>
    4o6 Fragmentation <Enabled>
    TCP Ack Prioritization <Enabled>
    ToS Multi Flow <Enabled>
    Notify Processing Mode <Hybrid>
    OVS Flow Learning <Disabled>
    HW Acceleration <Enabled>
    Flow Ucast Learning Enabled  : Max<16383>, Active<101>, Cumulative [ 8376 - 8275 ]
    Flow Mcast Learning Enabled  : Max<1152>, Active<0>, Cumulative [ 0 - 0 ]

What do you get plugging a 2.5 device directly into the ONT?

Have you tried changing cables? I would use a quality CAT 6A cable.

I am not able to configure my MAC OSX device when plugged directly to the ONT.... I need to setup a VLAN and PPOE together and I need to provide PPOE id and password. Cannot find a way to do that.
I already changed all the cables with CAT7....

Don't use a Cat7 cable. Use Cat6/6a or Cat5e instead (for shorter runs).

Ok, My ONT was just changed today with a ZTE F6005V6.0 Software Version V6.0.10N20.
No changes on the router. Still getting 100 m upload speed on a 2,5/1 Giga line.

some people are pointing me to flow control, but I never used it and it looks quite complex to me. However, if someone wishes to suggest any test for my case I'd be happy to do it.

Code:
fc status
    Flow Timer Interval = 10000 millisecs
    Pkt-HW Activate Deferral rate = 1
    Pkt-HW Idle Deactivate = 0
    Pkt-SW Activate Deferral count = 0
    Flow Low Pkt Rate = 10
    Acceleration Mode: <L2 & L3>
    MCast Acceleration IPv4<Enabled> IPv6<Enabled>
    IPv6 Learning <Enabled>
    L2TP Learning <Enabled>
    GRE Learning <Enabled>
    4o6 Fragmentation <Enabled>
    TCP Ack Prioritization <Enabled>
    ToS Multi Flow <Enabled>
    Notify Processing Mode <Hybrid>
    OVS Flow Learning <Disabled>
    HW Acceleration <Enabled>
    Flow Ucast Learning Enabled  : Max<16383>, Active<101>, Cumulative [ 8376 - 8275 ]
    Flow Mcast Learning Enabled  : Max<1152>, Active<0>, Cumulative [ 0 - 0 ]

Out of curiosity try enabling QOS and set your upload to something like 500M. That would tell you if some sort of saturation or bottleneck is occurring, if you can get 500M when it is limited but only 100M when not.

Also do not use the built in router speed test, that is not reliable.

However like I said before, this seems to be nothing to do with your ONT. Perhaps the 2.5G port on your router is bad, or the 2.5G adapter you're using to test is bad. Or your fiber line is dirty and having heavy packet loss when you exceed a certain amount. Have you run a test with packet loss statistics like I suggested?

The fact that you can get 1G in both directions when connected to a 1G LAN port says this is very likely not an issue with the router itself.

What speed was the tech able to get from the ONT when they installed it?

Perhaps the 2.5G port on your router is bad, ...
Hence my earlier suggestion to set the LAN 2.5 port as dual-WAN and try it that way (using /it/ to the ONT). At least that's what I'd had in mind when I said insuccinctly what I said... Should be able to generate over 1Gb wireless AX, at least for a moment. Certainly better than 100Mb.

Hi
Out of curiosity try enabling QOS and set your upload to something like 500M. That would tell you if some sort of saturation or bottleneck is occurring, if you can get 500M when it is limited but only 100M when not.

Also do not use the built in router speed test, that is not reliable.

However like I said before, this seems to be nothing to do with your ONT. Perhaps the 2.5G port on your router is bad, or the 2.5G adapter you're using to test is bad. Or your fiber line is dirty and having heavy packet loss when you exceed a certain amount. Have you run a test with packet loss statistics like I suggested?

The fact that you can get 1G in both directions when connected to a 1G LAN port says this is very likely not an issue with the router itself.

What speed was the tech able to get from the ONT when they installed it?

Hi.

If I enable QOS, I lose HW acceleration and the speed drops anyway.
I tested the 2.5 Adapter <--> 2.5 LAN Router port with iperf and it works fine.
The tech was unable to test the ONT over 1Gigabit, because that's the best they have.
I will do a packet loss test. Thanks.

Hi

Hi.

If I enable QOS, I lose HW acceleration and the speed drops anyway.
But is it over 100M upload at least?

I tested the 2.5 Adapter <--> 2.5 LAN Router port with iperf and it works fine.
What did you test to, a 1G device? And you got a full 1G in both directions with mac connected to 2.5 and other device connected to 1G? Ideally would be good to test the full 2.5G ability of the port, if you have another 2.5G wired device you could connect it to the WAN port and do an iperf test between the two (obviously your internet would be down during that time and you'd have to set a static IP). Or if that router has a way to set both 2.5G ports as LAN (I don't believe so) that would be easier.

The tech was unable to test the ONT over 1Gigabit, because that's the best they have.
I will do a packet loss test. Thanks.

Packet loss test is a definite next step, also did you check your MTU settings on PPPoE? Test your MTU with ping to find what it is and then set it in the router to avoid fragmentation issues. The symptoms don't point to it being a major fragmentation related issue but still good to rule it out.

It is really just starting to sound like their connection can't handle over a certain amount and it just starts experiencing severe drops.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!