What's new

Problem changing firmware from 178.15

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

shippy

New Around Here
I installed 178.15 a little while ago and was working on upgrading to 220. The router goes through the installation with the progress bar. Gets to 100% and says complete. When it takes me back to the router page the firmware doesn't change. I have tried 4 different versions of firmwares (178.16 beta 2, 220, 178, 162) to see if that is it but the same thing happens. The only thing I can think of that I did was unplug my external hard drive from power without going through the remove steps. Everything else seems to be working (except download master). Internet and wireless work the same as before. I just can't change the firmware. Please help. Thanks for your time.

Are you upgrading through the Check button, or through a file located on your local PC? The second method is the most reliable one.

Make sure you upgrade it using a wired, and not a wireless connection.

Also make sure you have the right firmware (RT-N66U or RT-AC66U).

One potential mistake (I've done it myself one late night while I was barely awake :) ) is to be on the Settings page instead of the Firmware Upgrade page - double check that.

Finally, try a different web browser in case it's an extension or an add-on in your browser blocking it.

If everything still fails, you can always use the Firmware Recovery tool from the Asus CD. Turn the router off, press the Reset button, and while keeping it pressed turn it back on. After a few seconds the power led should flash - release the reset button, the router will then be in Recovery mode. Use the FW Recovery tool to upload the new firmware. Don't forget to reset all settings to factory defaults after the upload is complete and the router has actually rebooted.

I went through most of these suggestions last night to no avail. Lastly I tried to upgrade via the firmware restoration program. I did it exactly as described. Turned off the router. Held the reset button and turned it back on and waited for the power light to flash (flashes very slowly). I then used the utility and it would upload the firmware and go through the entire 'system recovery' process and would get to 100%. After it finishes it says it failed to connect to the router and to check that it is in recover mode. I tried at least a dozen times (varying lengths of holding the reset button). When I did the upload and it was going through the recovery the power light stops flashing. Not sure if that is supposed to happen or not. If it isn't, what should I try differently?

Unfortunately now I can't even get to the GUI of the router and all routing functions have stopped working (still lights up and powers on except for the wireless lights). I am writing this at work. Hopefully this isn't a hardware issue.

'Are you upgrading through the Check button, or through a file located on your local PC? The second method is the most reliable one.'

I tried both methods. I always go through using the file on my local machine but when that was not working I tried the check button which didn't work either.

'Make sure you upgrade it using a wired, and not a wireless connection'

My desktop is connected to the router with a wired connection.

'Also make sure you have the right firmware (RT-N66U or RT-AC66U).'

Double checked. All of them were for the correct router.

'Finally, try a different web browser in case it's an extension or an add-on in your browser blocking it.'

I haven't tried that yet, I've upgraded the firmware several times with my browser with no issue. I will give that a try tonight if I can (since the GUI is not working right now). I currently use IE9.

Apologies for the loads of info, figured it was better then not enough. :)

The failure to reconnect at the end of recovery can occasionally happen - just let it sit there. Recovery can take between 5 and 10 mins. The router will automatically reboot once it's done.

One thing to check when using the recovery tool: make sure you are not connected through wifi to another router while doing recovery over the ethernet connection. I've had trouble recovering if wifi was connected to the other router at the same time.

Here is the exact procedure I usually go through myself:

- Unplug everything BUT that one cable between router and PC
- Have the router right next to the computer (in my case, a laptop)
- Turn the router off
- Start the Firmware REcovery Tool
- Select the firmware I want to upload
- Click on "Upload"
- Quickly turn the router on while the Reset button is pressed
- As soon the router hits recovery mode, the upload will begin.
- Let it sit there through the whole procedure, watching the LEDs. When the router reboots, all led will briefly turn on, then off. That procedure can take up to 5 minutes on the RT-N66U (much faster on the RT-AC66U).

That worked! It turns out all I needed was a little patience. :)

It's unfortunate that the software makes you feel like it didn't work when all you have to do is wait a few more minutes. Oh well. It works now and everything is back to normal. Thank you RMerlin!

That worked! It turns out all I needed was a little patience. :)

It's unfortunate that the software makes you feel like it didn't work when all you have to do is wait a few more minutes. Oh well. It works now and everything is back to normal. Thank you RMerlin!

I know the feeling. My first recoveries were also puzzling because I never knew what was going on.

Asus seems to have improved the recovery process with the RT-AC66U, recovery is like 3x faster with that router compared to the N66U.