What's new

Problem connecting to OpenVPN server on RT-AX88U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

If you have access to a commercial OpenVPN provider like ExpressVPN or NordVPN, try importing one their client config files. See if works. IOW, we need to determine if this a problem that applies *only* to your own OpenVPN server's client config file, or *any* client config file.
I have Avast VPN on my laptop and mobile. Is that any good? I also have a valid subsciption for SurfShark, but it's not on either of those devices at the moment as I don't need it with the Avast Ultimate Suite. You'd need to provide me with further instructions as I'm not sure how to import their config files and do you mean import onto my phone?

I'll give this a go in the morning, once I know what I am doing.

I have Avast VPN on my laptop and mobile. Is that any good? I also have a valid subsciption for SurfShark, but it's not on either of those devices at the moment as I don't need it with the Avast Ultimate Suite. You'd need to provide me with further instructions as I'm not sure how to import their config files and do you mean import onto my phone?

I'll give this a go in the morning, once I know what I am doing.

You import a client config file from SurfShark or any other commercial source the same way you import it for the router's client config file. The VPN provider should make those client config files available on their website.

Instructions to download client config files from SurfShark:

Last edited:
I've found the answer! It was the Avast VPN that comes bundled with their Ultimate Suite that was causing the problem, even though it wasn't turned on. As soon as I uninstalled it, the OpenVPN connection to my network began working. Strange but the Avast VPN on my laptop doesn't interfere with connecting to the OpenVPN server on my router.