What's new

Problem with 2.4GHz with both Asus and Merlin 384.x firmware.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

All, I sent an email to the contact for Asuswrt-Merlin explaining what I've experienced on the latest build and has he received any reports on the 2.4GHz SSID issue. Also pointed him to this forum to show others are having issues with the latest build, so maybe a new build comes out to resolve the current build. I've been using Asuswrt-Merlin firmware on my RT-AC3200 for awhile and this is the first time I've experienced an issue like this one. I upgraded to 384.4 this weekend after figuring it was the build, I reverted back to 384.3 as I wasn't experiencing any issues with that build.

Based on Merlin's documentation....
  • Merlin 384.3 is based on Asus GPL 384_10007
  • Merlin 383.4 is based on Asus GPL 384_20379
So, my guess is that Asus screwed something up in their update. I was previously on 380.something, so when I upgraded to the 384 branch I went for the latest which was the Asus 3.0.0.4.384.20379 version. When that didn't work I switched to Merlin 384.4, so inherited the same issue. The extra/nicer screens in Merlin's release led me to discover the issue.

I reverted back to Merlin's 380.69_2 which was based on a known good Asus firmware that I was previously on.

So, I don't think this is Merlin's issue. I would suggest anyone that relies on good 2.4GHz with older clients do not upgrade. As I stated, I have let Asus know, and they claim to still be looking into the issue. Hopefully they can resolve it quickly.

Let me know if Merlin's 384.3 continues to work, I may consider upgrading to that in the meantime, as it would get me closer to my goal of being current.

Based on Merlin's documentation....
  • Merlin 384.3 is based on Asus GPL 384_10007
  • Merlin 383.4 is based on Asus GPL 384_20379
So, my guess is that Asus screwed something up in their update. I was previously on 380.something, so when I upgraded to the 384 branch I went for the latest which was the Asus 3.0.0.4.384.20379 version. When that didn't work I switched to Merlin 384.4, so inherited the same issue. The extra/nicer screens in Merlin's release led me to discover the issue.

I reverted back to Merlin's 380.69_2 which was based on a known good Asus firmware that I was previously on.

So, I don't think this is Merlin's issue. I would suggest anyone that relies on good 2.4GHz with older clients do not upgrade. As I stated, I have let Asus know, and they claim to still be looking into the issue. Hopefully they can resolve it quickly.

Let me know if Merlin's 384.3 continues to work, I may consider upgrading to that in the meantime, as it would get me closer to my goal of being current.

I've been on 384.3 since it came out. I've been upgrading with each increment so when 384.4 came out this weekend I upgraded. This is when I began having the issue with 2.4. So 384.3 is a stable firmware with no issues.

I also have issues with high ping from the last 2 builds on my 5300.

I first tested the beta 384.3 and thought it worked fine. Over the next few days I was quite busy, I finally had the time to play Overwatch and my ping was 300... I opened the web GUI to see what was going on, I noticed web GUI was extremely slow, dial up speeds...

I got around to testing the the new stable build, I'm still having the same issues.

Other notes: After I restart everything, it's still slow, but not as bad as before. I have a hunch this will build up over time getting worse.

For now I'm going to revert back.

Edit: 5ghz is also effected.

After going through this thread, I redid the latest firmware and did a factory reset. I redid all the config and applied a new network ID. and this seems to have fixed my issues.

I'll report back if the issue arises again.

All, I sent an email to the contact for Asuswrt-Merlin explaining what I've experienced on the latest build and has he received any reports on the 2.4GHz SSID issue. Also pointed him to this forum to show others are having issues with the latest build, so maybe a new build comes out to resolve the current build. I've been using Asuswrt-Merlin firmware on my RT-AC3200 for awhile and this is the first time I've experienced an issue like this one. I upgraded to 384.4 this weekend after figuring it was the build, I reverted back to 384.3 as I wasn't experiencing any issues with that build.
Experiencing the same. Downgrade to 383.3 seems to have done the trick for now. I have not factory reset at this time on my end.

I think it is the new build that was just released. 2.4GHz SSID was having issues, 5GHz SSIDs no issues at all. My son kept complaining his XBOX One would not connect. I noticed other devices would not connect to the 2.4GHz SSID. I would reboot and would resolve for a period of time. I reinstalled the firmware and manually reboot the router and still would have issues of the 2.4GHz SSID unable to connect. I reverted back to 384.3 firmware build and have no issues with any of devices. I'm glad I found this forum and that I'm not the only one having issues with the latest firmware build.
I tend to agree... After 384.4 Beta2, the 2.4 GHz band "went away" altogether. No 2.4 LED on front of unit, no visible SSID. No amount of reboots, power recycle, factory resets, etc. seem to bring it back online. Flashing back to 384.3 fixes everything.

So, a quick update. I downgraded to 380.69_2,and the issue no longer happens. All the same settings, SSID, etc. which leads me to believe there is some issue in 384.x somewhere. I don't really know where to go from there. At least I am stable at the moment, but I would really like to get all the updates and features 384.x offers.

I am having similar issues with my RT-AC5300, have downgraded to 380.69_2 and am staying there for the time being as everything is very stable. I'm sure there is an issue with 2.4GHz with this release and the RT-AC5300.

I also have this issue on RT-AC5300 with exactly the same devices: Nest, Printers, Raspberry Pi. I am following this thread with interest.

Try the following: disable smart connect, and then set 2.4 GHz bandwidth to 20 MHz only (remember to set two separate SSID names 2.4/5). It's what worked for me on an ac88. I tried all that other pixie dust stuff with airtime fairness and beam forming, but it appears to be the bandwidth switching that kills it. No problems for over a week now.

I've been having the same issues with 2.4 on my 5300.
Been troubleshooting with all that other "pixie" dust, as you say, as well.
Did not think to change the 40/20 bandwidth setting. Thanks for the tip!
I hope it works.

Last edited:
Hello everyone...

Hoping someone can help. Ever since the 384.x firmware has been out, I am having an issue with the 2.4GHz WiFi band on my RT-AC5300. I have been going back and forth with Asus support, and they have not be helpful so far. Yesterday after the release of Merlin 384.4, I decided to try that, since there are many more helpful screens for troubleshooting, etc...and the AIMesh stuff is not present (which I do not use anyway).

This is the problem I am having:
  • Everything works great for anywhere from a few minutes to a few hours after reboot.
  • Ping rates for 2.4Ghz clients starts fluctuating. From 1ms to over 4000ms (up and down) for typically 15-20 mins, and then eventually it just stops working all together.
  • When everything stops, the client are still "associated", but no bandwidth info is listed on the wireless log, photo below (I edited out my SSID and BSSID).
  • This only happens on the 2.4GHz band, everything else is fine.
  • The clients are my HP printer, Nest Thermostat, Smoke Detectors, and Raspberry Pi's.
2.4g_problem.jpg

My 2.4GHz Settings are as follows: (pretty much default, except enabling IGMP snooping for Nest/Google Home to work, and I tried disabling MIMO, based on another post I read). I have also tried disabling explicit and universal beamforming, but that did not help either.

2.4g_settings.jpg

Appreciate any help.

Thanks,
Brian

Disable:
Tx bursting
Reduce usb3 interference
And all the beamforming

See how that goes

I've tried all those things with no change to my 2.4GHz issues.
I have been experiencing the same issues as MachineX has with 2.4GHz. So have others in reading through the main 384.4 thread.
So far Elmer's recommendation to set 2.4 bandwidth setting to 20 MHz only vs the 40/20 setting i had it set to seems to be doing the trick. I only use smart connect with my 5GHz Radios so i didn't need to disable smart connect with the 2.4GHz radio was running separately.
I want to run like this for a couple of days before confirming my 2.4GHz issues are fixed now in 384.4_2, but this fixed bandwidth setting change looks promising right now.

Hello everyone...

Hoping someone can help. Ever since the 384.x firmware has been out, I am having an issue with the 2.4GHz WiFi band on my RT-AC5300. I have been going back and forth with Asus support, and they have not be helpful so far. Yesterday after the release of Merlin 384.4, I decided to try that, since there are many more helpful screens for troubleshooting, etc...and the AIMesh stuff is not present (which I do not use anyway).

This is the problem I am having:
  • Everything works great for anywhere from a few minutes to a few hours after reboot.
  • Ping rates for 2.4Ghz clients starts fluctuating. From 1ms to over 4000ms (up and down) for typically 15-20 mins, and then eventually it just stops working all together.
  • When everything stops, the client are still "associated", but no bandwidth info is listed on the wireless log, photo below (I edited out my SSID and BSSID).
  • This only happens on the 2.4GHz band, everything else is fine.
  • The clients are my HP printer, Nest Thermostat, Smoke Detectors, and Raspberry Pi's.
2.4g_problem.jpg

My 2.4GHz Settings are as follows: (pretty much default, except enabling IGMP snooping for Nest/Google Home to work, and I tried disabling MIMO, based on another post I read). I have also tried disabling explicit and universal beamforming, but that did not help either.

2.4g_settings.jpg

Appreciate any help.

Thanks,
Brian

try enabling bluetooth coexistance and reboot and tell me what happens.

So leave a the professional settings at default and all the wireless settings at default and enable your bluetooth coexistance and see if you notice a change leave the channel and frequence set to auto and 20/40 and set connection typebto auto. This seemed to help my 2.4ghz alot i have the same router.

Changing the 2.4GHz bandwidth setting to 20 MHz only, didn’t do the trick.
After enough time I had the same 2.4GHz issues as before.
When I installed 384.4 I did the initialize reset option from the UI as recommended. Perhaps that did not fully clear my NVRAM as it appears based on various posts one needs to do a number of acrobatics to insure one has cleared NVRAM on ASUS routers.
I ended up taking a chance with the 384.5 alpha. I did an initialize reset and also a hold wps button while powering up reset and also a hold reset button for 7 seconds reset for good measure. Then reconfigured everything except QoS and let it run for 12+ hours. All was working well so i installed FreshJR’s QoS script and configured QoS. All seems good.

I can’t say for sure if 384.4 would have worked if I had done the three different resets in a row. However 384.5 is looking solid even in alpha stage.

Last edited: