What's new

Problem with Wifi and AiMesh

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ComputerSteve

I recently upgraded my AC-5300's to wifi 6 by getting the RT-AX55's. I did this mainly because i'm having a weird throughput issue. I thought that maybe it was an issue between compatibility of my GT-AX11000 and AC nodes but i'm noticing that still with the RT-AX55's wifi speeds are cut in like half and it randomly happens. All my nodes are ethernet wired and ethernet connected devices are getting full 1gig speeds from my ISP. My wifi devices right next to the router connected to 5ghz channels are getting like 200mbps / then if I reboot them or play with any setting it goes back up to 600. I notice that this random drop just happens every so often even setting the channels to specific ones doesn't fix the problem. I can't seem to figure out why this is happening. I'm thinking it's some kind of bug with AiMesh. Nothing changes in my configuration but then all of a sudden I connect to the wifi router and the device is right next to the router getting abysmal speeds. I noticed this also with the AC-5300 that if I used ethernet backhaul and connected to 5GHz-2 the speed was abysmal if I connected to 5GHz-1 then speeds are in the 600's. The issue is my RT-AX55's are now picking channels 149-165 instead of the lower range channels 36-64. I notice that clients that connect to the lower range 5ghz channels don't have this issue. That is consistent on both the RT-AX55's or the AC-5300's.

Something is very wrong with Aimesh. I have a Tri band GT-AX11000 and RT-AX55s as nodes. If I use Ethernet backhaul mode and disable my AX1100s 5GHZ-2 Wi-Fi in professional settings the AX55s no longer have 5GHZ. Also if I change that networks name the AX55s broadcast the back haul channel / ssid instead of mimicking 5Ghz1 like they should.

Found it.. I downgraded back to an earlier firmware. This problem seems to have started with GPL 386_45958. I have setup an AiMesh network and i'm noticing that the nodes are following the 5Ghz-2 settings instead of following 5Ghz-1 which dualband routers should be following. 5Ghz-2 should only be followed if I had a triband node and the RT-AX55's are not triband. This is why with the newer firmwares if I disable 5Ghz-2 I get no broadcast in the 5ghz range on the nodes also the SSID is the same as the 5ghz-2 ssid when that shouldn't be the case either.

Found it.. I downgraded back to an earlier firmware. This problem seems to have started with GPL 386_45958. I have setup an AiMesh network and i'm noticing that the nodes are following the 5Ghz-2 settings instead of following 5Ghz-1 which dualband routers should be following. 5Ghz-2 should only be followed if I had a triband node and the RT-AX55's are not triband. This is why with the newer firmwares if I disable 5Ghz-2 I get no broadcast in the 5ghz range on the nodes also the SSID is the same as the 5ghz-2 ssid when that shouldn't be the case either.

5GHz on a dual band is following settings of the 2nd 5GHz radio of a tri-band for a couple of years now. All the way since Asus introduced the wired backhaul concept. I don't know why they made this decision and I never open a ticket to ask. It doesn't make sense, but...
And yes, if you disable 2nd 5GHz radio on a tri-band router, the 5GHz radio on a dual-band node will be disable.

5GHz on a dual band is following settings of the 2nd 5GHz radio of a tri-band for a couple of years now. All the way since Asus introduced the wired backhaul concept. I don't know why they made this decision and I never open a ticket to ask. It doesn't make sense, but...
And yes, if you disable 2nd 5GHz radio on a tri-band router, the 5GHz radio on a dual-band node will be disable.
Yes but that’s not what’s happening on Merlin’s earlier firmware releases & earler GPLs. I’m on firmware 386.2_6 and now the opposite is occurring. I can disable 5GHZ-2 without disabling the nodes broadcast of 5GHZ. The new change stinks because on newer firmwares if I rename 5GHZ-2 SSID to something different while Ethernet Backhaul mode is enabled all my nodes change to that name.

Yes but that’s not what’s happening on Merlin’s earlier firmware releases & earler GPLs. I’m on firmware 386.2_6 and now the opposite is occurring. I can disable 5GHZ-2 without disabling the nodes broadcast of 5GHZ. The new change stinks because on newer firmwares if I rename 5GHZ-2 SSID to something different while Ethernet Backhaul mode is enabled all my nodes change to that name.

I'm not saying Asus' path is good or bad. I was more than happy with them creating the concept of wired backhaul. But it eludes me what was the reason to follow 2nd 5GHz radio on the only 5GHz radio of a node. My logic would say they should follow 1st 5GHz radio settings. Same logic you're explaining. But that's what they choose to do...

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!