What's new

Problematic DDNS+LE with NameCheap

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

y2kbug

New Around Here
RT-AC87R with Firmware Version:384.4_2

Using "www.asus.com" as DDNS service provider, it works together with LetsEncrypt.
However, using NameCheap, the IP is updated, but LetsEncrypt fails.

"Remote Access" and "HTTPS" is turned on.
"HTTPS Port of Web Access from WAN" is set to be 443.
"AiCloud" is set to something else.

I see something strange in the "Local Access Config" section.
The label after "HTTPS LAN Port" is "Access setting page via https://a.b.c:443" (I filter it. It is a correct and accessable url)
The label after "HTTPS Port of Web Access from WAN" is "Access setting page via https://a:443"
So I suspect the firmware handle the Namecheap parameters wrongly.

Below is the log:
Mar 31 00:07:54 watchdog: start ddns.
Mar 31 00:07:54 rc_service: watchdog 297:notify_rc start_ddns
Mar 31 00:07:54 start_ddns: update WWW.NAMECHEAP.COM namecheap, wan_unit 0
Mar 31 00:07:54 ddns_update: ez-ipupdate: starting...
Mar 31 00:07:54 ddns_update: connected to dynamicdns.park-your-domain.com (104.219.249.157) on port 80.
Mar 31 00:07:55 ddns_update: request successful
Mar 31 00:07:55 ddns_update: asusddns_update: 0
Mar 31 00:07:55 ddns: ddns update ok
Mar 31 00:08:02 kernel: /usr/sbin/acme-client: https://acme-v01.api.letsencrypt.org/acme/new-authz: bad HTTP: 400
Mar 31 00:08:02 kernel: /usr/sbin/acme-client: transfer buffer: [{ "type": "urn:acme:error:malformed", "detail": "Error creating new authz :: DNS name does not have enough labels", "status": 400 }] (137 bytes)

I am not sure if this is the correct place to report but.
If not, may anyone please instruct me who I can report to?

Thank you very much.

Last edited:
Since Asus does not support Namecheap, I suspect it's not compatible with Let's Encrypt.

Let's Encrypt code being closed source, not much that can be done about it.

Since Asus does not support Namecheap, I suspect it's not compatible with Let's Encrypt.

Let's Encrypt code being closed source, not much that can be done about it.
Any idea if Google Domains work?
If so I may transfer my domain from NameCheap to Google

I'm using Namecheap and do have Let's Encrypt working. I didn't have to do anything special to get it to work and certainly didn't need to open anything to the WAN. I left the Local Access config as default with HTTPS.

I'm using Namecheap and do have Let's Encrypt working. I didn't have to do anything special to get it to work and certainly didn't need to open anything to the WAN. I left the Local Access config as default with HTTPS.

I'm trying to get Namecheap setup with LE. it's giving me the same error. "DNS Name does not have enough parts" any suggestions on things to try? I would really like to get this setup and working.

I actually was able to figure this out. I had to set DDNS to Custom, enable a dnsomatic script (found here https://github.com/RMerl/asuswrt-merlin/wiki/DDNS-Sample-Scripts#dns-o-matic).

After setting custom and using the script i was able to get LE working.

using sample script on custom ddns, what host are you using, from namecheap faq using "@" as host for "domain.com" but whenever i enter @ on asus ddns custom page it always says invalid char

using namechaep ddns selection?

No, using custom option. If I remember correctly the namecheap ddns selection is out of date &/or not secure.
Don't include the @ in the domain name.

No, using custom option. If I remember correctly the namecheap ddns selection is out of date &/or not secure.
Don't include the @ in the domain name.

so if i want using "abc.com" on the ddns page on router select custom, and leave the hostname blank?

then in custom script also leave the hostname blank?

I've always specified a hostname, but you might be able to leave it blank in the custom script.

Though this is an old thread. I've just had the same issue and managed to make it work. It seemed that the problem mentioned in this thread was the exact problem I had.

So, say you have myDDNS.abc.com with Namecheap, the configuration in Asuswrt-Merlin should be:

Hostname: myDDNS.abc.com (not "myDDNS", this is where it failed)
Domain: abc.com

Interestingly, if hostname is configured as "myDDNS" only, the IP address update will still work, since the code couldn't resolve "myDDNS", it always forces updating the IP address.

Changing Hostname to full hostname fixed the issue for me.

I'm having the same problem as above. I have to type the whole FQDN into the DDNS page for Let's Encrypt to succeed, but then DDNS does not properly update the record at Namecheap. Name cheap is expecting the host name only, as the domain is used to login.