What's new

Problems With RT-AC68U and Bell Hub 4000

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

dsneed

Occasional Visitor
My parents recently moved to Bell Canada for internet, TV and home phone. They got a Bell Hub 4000. The internet works perfectly when connected directly to the modem via wire and wireless, but the connection is very slow and often can't access any site when connected through an Asus RT-AC68U router. I have enabled the advanced DMZ and selected the router, which forwards the public IP to the DMZ'ed device. This is the same setup I have at my home with my RT-AC86U, and it is working perfectly. I can't figure out what the issue is. the Asus router firmware is up to date, the DNS is set to 9.9.9.9, but I have tried various DNS services.

Any help would be appreciated.

My parents recently moved to Bell Canada for internet, TV and home phone. They got a Bell Hub 4000. The internet works perfectly when connected directly to the modem via wire and wireless, but the connection is very slow and often can't access any site when connected through an Asus RT-AC68U router. I have enabled the advanced DMZ and selected the router, which forwards the public IP to the DMZ'ed device. This is the same setup I have at my home with my RT-AC86U, and it is working perfectly. I can't figure out what the issue is. the Asus router firmware is up to date, the DNS is set to 9.9.9.9, but I have tried various DNS services.

Any help would be appreciated.

If not too inconvenient, try your AC86U on their gateway... maybe their old/slow? AC68U has issues.

OE

If not too inconvenient, try your AC86U on their gateway... maybe their old/slow? AC68U has issues.

OE
1. The Asus router was working fine with their previous internet provider (Rogers).
2. I just recently bought this router for them. I’d say maybe 4 months ago.

1. The Asus router was working fine with their previous internet provider (Rogers).

My suggestion was simply troubleshooting... swap in a working unit to narrow the focus. A new box may fail early or serve a long life.

Did you reboot the ISP box?

Did you reset the AC68U firmware before configuring it?

OE

Recently bought which router for them? The Asus RT-AC68U or the RT-AC86U? If it is the RT- AC68U is it an Asus branded RT- AC68U or the T-Mobile branded RT- AC68U? Have you done a hard reset on the RT-AC68U? Is the Asus's WAN port connected direct to the Bell Hub 4000 LAN port? Have you tried different Ethernet cables as a troubleshooting step?

There are many complaints about the Bell Hub 4000, when attempting to use a second router behind it, in a quick internet search with several reporting slow speeds when using their own routers with the Bell Hub 4000. Some have resorted to escalating the issue with Bell to get a different Bell router/gateway (not a Hub 4000) to fix their issue. For others it was putting the Bell Hub 4000 into PPPoE passthrough mode and configuring the PPPoE login on their own router, turning off WiFi and turning off DHCP. Others used the Advanced DMZ mode on the Bell Hub 4000 then turned off WiFi and DHCP on the Bell Hub.

Just FYI, Bell HH4000 is much faster router with better Wi-Fi than RT-AC68U. You're basically choking it with this old tech router.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!