What's new

Procurve 1400-8G or PowerConnect 2708

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ronnieferrell

New Around Here
My office network is made up of a Cisco Catalyst 3750 stack. We are setting up cubicles in 2 offices that each have a single run to the 3750 stack and are really hard to wire for more runs. I'm planning on hanging an 8 port Gigabit switches in each office off the current Gigabit runs from the 3750. I really do not "need" a managed switch in these offices because the cubicles in each office will be on the same VLAN controlled by the 3750 and we do not use VoIP.

If you had to choose between the HP Procurve 1400-8G and the Dell PowerConnect 2708, which would you choose? I'm leaning towards the 1400-8G because of the lifetime warranty, jumbo frame support, and I don't need it to be managed. Stating it like that it sounds like my choice is obvious, but I’m looking for a second opinion before making the purchase.

Thanks!

Ronnie Ferrell

Honestly, if you don't need managed features and the ports in the offices are all going to be on the same vlan, any 30 dollar gig-e switch will work just fine. Just check for Jumbo Frame support. If you do want managed features, and you're a Cisco shop, I'd advise staying with a Cisco switch, as you get consistent management features.

Tam

Well I went with the 1400-8G. I've had issues in the past with using small consumer grade switches in the workplace, like having to cycle the power on them or having them reboot or having a port drop and then come back. It's been several years since that time so a current $30 linksys or TRENDnet probably would have worked for me but for $75 with a lifetime warranty and next day replacement, I could not pass up the Procurve. I've always had great support from HP on all of my LaserJets so I'm hoping this is also the case with their network gear as well. Actually I'm hope I never have to find out how good their tech support is...

Ronnie

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!