What's new

Proper way to Factory Default a router?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

nikr

Regular Contributor
I am brand new AX86U. And I have been having issues with guest network. I've another thread for that issue. Anyways, one last time I want to Factory default router and try to setup it up again, in hope that it might work this time. I usually reset to default from UI. Is it good enough? Is there a proper way to default a router, which ensures that no traces of previous settings stays around.

Is reset from UI, Holding down reset button and holding down WPS button during boot all do the same thing? Is one better then other. Anything else I should be doing before or after reset in order for reset to be effective?

Thanks

They should all to the same thing. Using the GUI method has an additional option to "initialise" the jffs partition which may help.

1. Enable ssh in router with port as 22 (RT-AX88U/AX-86U or current Broadcom AX based routers for example)
  2. Launch Windows Powershell as Admin
  3. login to router with below command
  4. ssh admin@192.168.50.1 (Admin or any username and IP of your router)
  5. Enter Password
  6. Pass this command hnd-erase nvram and press Enter
  7. Immediately turn off router from wall's power socket, Unplug power cable or turn on/off switch. Then turn it on again.
  8. Router should be properly reset.
Merlin suggested to reboot router by physically cutting power to it and not through GUI. There is a chance the old NVRAM values in memory might again be written back to router nullifying your reset efforts.

1. Enable ssh in router with port as 22 (RT-AX88U/AX-86U or current Broadcom AX based routers for example)
  2. Launch Windows Powershell as Admin
  3. login to router with below command
  4. ssh admin@192.168.50.1 (Admin or any username and IP of your router)
  5. Enter Password
  6. Pass this command hnd-erase nvram and press Enter
  7. Immediately turn off router from wall's power socket, Unplug power cable or turn on/off switch. Then turn it on again.
  8. Router should be properly reset.
Merlin suggested to reboot router by physically cutting power to it and not through GUI. There is a chance the old NVRAM values in memory might again be written back to router nullifying your reset efforts.
Will the above process work with an AiMesh system? I have 3 XT8 units (router and 2 nodes). Would this clear each unit?

Will the above process work with an AiMesh system? I have 3 XT8 units (router and 2 nodes). Would this clear each unit?
Yes. Even I have 3 RT-AX88U and I first remove the nodes from GUI. This causes them to factory reset. Then I do the above steps to reset only on main router. I don't reset nodes this way.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!