What's new

Protocol Question TCP vs UDP

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Rick Mathes

Regular Contributor
I have a question on protocol.. I have my Asus router running latest merlin setup with 3 different vpn server addresses. on ports 1197, 1198 and 501. I was having trouble getting port 501 to work and finally figured out that it has to be tcp rather than udp. Is there any real difference in security between the two. Thanks in advance.

I have a question on protocol.. I have my Asus router running latest merlin setup with 3 different vpn server addresses. on ports 1197, 1198 and 501. I was having trouble getting port 501 to work and finally figured out that it has to be tcp rather than udp. Is there any real difference in security between the two. Thanks in advance.

No real difference in security, just reliability. TCP guarantees packets are received which makes it reliable on poor connections or roaming devices. UDP is technically faster because it is connectionless and doesn’t check if packets are received. If you are on a stable high speed internet connection then use UDP.

Don’t use ports inside the 1-1024 reserved range. Use a different port than 501. I prefer to use an uncommonly used unassigned port in the high range eg. 51983 or whatever. If you run skynet you can see which are the most commonly targeted ports.

Just to add..... It's not obvious from your post, but looking at your other thread you appear to be talking about the VPN client on your router not the server. So your reference to TCP port 501 makes more sense as that is something that is dictated by your VPN provider (PIA).

You might also want to have a look at:

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/d...files-can-download-either-from-nordvpn.55533/

from a couple of days ago