What's new

Purchase Our Own Modem for Spectrum?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Biggupp

Occasional Visitor
ISP: Spectrum
Speed Tier: 100/10

Spectrum yesterday 01/25 replaced a fourth faulty modem in less than a year. Yeah, frustrating. In each visit, the tech checks the home run from the "pole" (hop?) into the structure. Always fine.

What are the pros and cons of purchasing our own modem? Our goal is reliability.

Spectrum yesterday 01/25 replaced a fourth faulty modem in less than a year. Yeah, frustrating. In each visit, the tech checks the home run from the "pole" (hop?) into the structure. Always fine.

What are the pros and cons of purchasing our own modem? Our goal is reliability.

Pros:
  • You can cancel service without having to return a modem to a Spectrum store.
  • You can pick which model you want to own. You might select one with better specs, better build quality, or to avoid known latency issues with Intel Puma based devices.
  • You could use your own modem (or theirs) as a backup

Cons:
  • You have to spend more money
  • If a problem with the line is damaging the modems (seems likely) then yours would be next and you would have to try to get it replaced under warranty (if that would even cover damage like that).

Since Spectrum provides a modem for free there's really no reason not to have one of their modems on hand. If you want to use another modem then you should be able to keep the Spectrum as a backup. I use a modem from Spectrum but I have a spare 16x4 modem (left over from when Spectrum was TWC) that I could use while waiting for Spectrum to replace their modem if it fails. Spectrum provided me with an Arris TM1604A which had already been upgraded via software to support 24x8 channels instead of the default 16x4

If you use their modem you have a better chance of demonstrating to Spectrum something is "their" problem rather than yours.

Four modems? I'm skeptical. If you ever start having problems again try "ping plotter" and "namebench". They've helped me isolate ISP problems that the ISP didn't even know they had.

Last edited:
ISP troubleshooting is a joke and TWC is no different (parse their forums).

If their modem is working for you and you aren't wanting anything different, then why pay for something you don't need? (and I say that as a TWC/Spectrum user who owns his own SB6183--I just don't want to use their gateway and not be able to configure it myself without their resetting it regularly, which they do)

If you're paying for their WiFi, I don't recommend getting ripped off any further; buy your own WiFi router (plenty of solid reviews here to decide which one).

Dumping my TWC (Spectrum in future) modem made a difference here.

I had connection issues with my clients and their all-in-one modems. I’m on legacy TWC and $10 a month lease still being charged, if you use their equipment. Bought an Arris SB6183 and paired it with my Asus Router. Saved the $10 a month lease charge and internet connection is now rock solid.

I understand Spectrum supplies the Wi-Fi device for free now. If you don’t want to mess with any future issues they will probably blame on your personal setup, you should go that route.

I understand Spectrum supplies the Wi-Fi device for free now. If you don’t want to mess with any future issues they will probably blame on your personal setup, you should go that route.
Got it. My experience was different thus my reply was different.

My previous provider provided a "free" modem (only) and there was a fee if I wanted their modem/router.

My new provider (Spectrum) also provides a "free" modem (only) and there is a fee if I want their modem/router.

Got it. My experience was different thus my reply was different.

My previous provider provided a "free" modem (only) and there was a fee if I wanted their modem/router.

My new provider (Spectrum) also provides a "free" modem (only) and there is a fee if I want their modem/router.
Yep. From what I understand, Spectrum charges $5 a month if you use their Wi-Fi device? Not sure, since still on a TWC bulk account here in my condo. Good thing about being on Spectrum, you get their speed upgrades. TWC legacy, stuck on whatever you have for now.

Yep. From what I understand, Spectrum charges $5 a month if you use their Wi-Fi device? Not sure, since still on a TWC bulk account here in my condo. Good thing about being on Spectrum, you get their speed upgrades. TWC legacy, stuck on whatever you have for now.
Yes, "free" for modem, $5 for WiFi.

I signed up for 60 Mbps. Based on Time Warner I was expecting about 40 <lol> but got 70 right out of the gate! A month later I was getting 120. What a great way to start a new relationship!

Currently using the extra bandwidth to "shrink" cable. Those Rokus are working GR8 (with my new router : -) Saving $21 per month on HD boxes already.

Last edited:
Yes, free for modem, $5 for WiFi.

I signed up for 60 Mbps and got 70 right out of the gate. A month later I was getting 120. What a great way to start a new relationship!
Good stuff.

Still on TWC 70 here, probably for awhile. Haha

Thank you, all. I think we will purchase our own modem, and which, TBD.
Should have mentioned that we do not have modem-WiFi. The first three of four modems had the capability, but was not enabled.
Our Spectrum monthly invoice indicates modem is included in our plan. I wonder, tho:
1. Can we keep it as a backup if we buy our own.
2. If we do return it, would we get some credit on our bill.

Maybe I didn't see it, but is there a primer for pingplotter and namebench?

• My Spectrum modem is a modem only and is currently "free" If I returned it I wouldn't see a reduction on my bill (unless, maybe, if I tried to negotiate one).
  • If I had gotten WiFi they would have given me a modem/router and charged me five (maybe ten, I forget) monthly.
  • I mostly like using their modem because if there's a problem I can plug directly into their modem and begin to rule out my equipment.
IPSs aren't perfect at problem solving especially if the problem is intermittent. You know how that goes, by the time someone comes out the problem is gone only to come back when they leave. I've seen ISPs replace modems because they didn't know what else to do.
  • Ping Plotter is an automatic "trace route" / "ping" program that charts results over hours and even days. When you connect to, say, "Google" there's probably a dozen Internet routers (hops) between you and them. Ping Plotter will often show you if anything is failing / losing packets between "here & there" and for how long.
  • "namebench" doesn't just "ping" your name server; it tests it, compares it to other name servers and gives you results. My son had flaky Internet services. Everything (that we & the ISP could see) checked out great. Ran Ping Plotter during an outage, in this case it didn't resolve names but worked fine when I gave it an IP address. Ran namebench and it showed the ISP's name server was intermittently flaky. An ISP would never have found that using a line test.
Because you had four modems "fail" I was just wondering if there wasn't something else going on? (I've only had one ISP modem fail in twenty years.)

Last edited:
Thank you, all. I think we will purchase our own modem, and which, TBD.
Should have mentioned that we do not have modem-WiFi. The first three of four modems had the capability, but was not enabled.
Our Spectrum monthly invoice indicates modem is included in our plan. I wonder, tho:
1. Can we keep it as a backup if we buy our own.
2. If we do return it, would we get some credit on our bill.

Maybe I didn't see it, but is there a primer for pingplotter and namebench?
Before you buy the new modem, head over to the Spectrum forum and post your cable signals there. There are several folks on that forum that can analyze your signals and help you figure out if you’re having issues.

http://forums.timewarnercable.com/

Klueless, AFA what other element may cause modems to fail, I am open to suggestion. I built a NOC in which the modem is connected to a UPS. I installed positive pressure fans to pull in filtered, cold air that both cools all the equipment and also helps keep dust out.
Prior to becoming Spectrum, with TWC every 4-5 months our modem would fail because squirrels ate thru the home run from the pole. The techs said this was not isolated to us because TWC had to use up the million+ feet of purchased cable. [We would find bits and pieces of semi-digested cable all over the yard (kidding about the last part).]

What is the nature of failure? All same way? If you get your own. when it quit working it becomes throw away
box. I don't think it'll be easy to have it fixed. Wonder if your AC power in the house is stable. Is the modem plugged into surge protected outlet? Some boxes at least have a minimum built-in protection. Wonder who is making the Spectrum modem?

Last edited:
On the TWC/Spectrum forum, is it OK to post Error Logs that include MAC addresses? Isn't that a potential security exposure?

Prior to becoming Spectrum, with TWC every 4-5 months our modem would fail because squirrels ate thru the home run from the pole.
Now that's exactly the kind of thing I was talking about! A "squirrel chew" can cause intermittent problems. Sometimes things will work great. Other times wind, rain, snow, whatever will cause problems with the compromised cabling. If things are acting up when the techs are out they might find it. If things are working when they come out they might not find it. Out of frustration they might replace the modem and hope for the best.

Just went through that with my in-laws. The techs came out several times; removed splitters, replaced modems, routers, amps, connectors, cables and home runs but the problems kept coming back. Then last month the tech came out on a kinda crappy day; ran another home run from the pole to the house and replaced an amp with a zero gain amp to the modem.

Then he scratched his head. He checked a neighbor's line and scratched his head again. He disappeared for awhile, came back and reported he had found a squirrel chew in an overhead line in another neighbor's backyard. The in-laws have been (knock on wood) problem free ever since.

Last edited:
On the TWC/Spectrum forum, is it OK to post Error Logs that include MAC addresses? Isn't that a potential security exposure?
Just remove the MAC information. Copy your signals as well.

Now that's exactly the kind of thing I was talking about! A "squirrel chew" can cause intermittent problems. Sometimes things will work great. Other times wind, rain, snow, whatever will cause problems with the compromised cabling. If things are acting up when the techs are out they might find it. If things are working when they come out they might not find it. Out of frustration they might replace the modem and hope for the best.

Just went through that with my in-laws. The techs came out several times; removed splitters, replaced modems, routers, amps, connectors, cables and home runs but the problems kept coming back. Then last month the tech came out on a kinda crappy day; ran another home run from the pole to the house and replaced an amp with a zero gain amp to the modem.

Then he scratched his head. He checked a neighbor's line and scratched his head again. He disappeared for awhile, came back and reported he had found a squirrel chew in an overhead line in another neighbor's backyard. The in-laws have been (knock on wood) problem free ever since.

I've been living in neighborhood with all utility cables are under ground. I forgot about that, LOL!

I mostly like using their modem because if there's a problem I can plug directly into their modem and begin to rule out my equipment.

Even if you owned your own, you could still plug into the modem and start ruling out the rest of your equipment. Yours, theirs, doesn't matter the results are still the same...