What's new

Purchasing RT-AX86U AX5700 Router would help to increase VPN speed ?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

@zillah, there is no doubt that the RT-AX86U is the preferred router today. :)

(Out of all RMerlin powered Asus routers I've used, including the ones you mention above).

I have an AC86 that I run two clients on. Using either PIA or Strong my speeds are typically in the 140 - 180 Mbps range. With earlier versions of Merlin's firmware I used to see speeds in excess of 200 Mbps while using PIA.

Most of the limitation is from the fact that the processor in a consumer router is limited. Bandwidth constraints from your VPN provider can result from how many connections to each server, the processing power of each server as well as how big of a pipe to the WWW the provider has. Distance from the server also impacts speeds.
Hi Captain,
would you share how do you get 140-180 with PIA? I never saw more than 120, and this is on 1Gbps connection.
P.S. with 363_3.2 it is now around 70...
1629030574928.png

STRONG VPN
Speedtest result for VPNC1

Bandwidth - Download: 146.04 Mbps (data used: 164.4 MB) - Upload: 26.12 Mbps (data used: 28.4 MB)
Quality - Latency: 15.28 ms (1.07 ms jitter) - Packet Loss: 0.0%

STRONG VPN

Speedtest result for VPNC3

Bandwidth - Download: 145.52 Mbps (data used: 161.4 MB) - Upload: 26.47 Mbps (data used: 28.5 MB)
Quality - Latency: 19.53 ms (2.00 ms jitter) - Packet Loss: 0.0%

PIA
Speedtest result for VPNC5

Bandwidth - Download: 105.06 Mbps (data used: 125.9 MB) - Upload: 24.57 Mbps (data used: 28.5 MB)
Quality - Latency: 17.10 ms (58.00 ms jitter) - Packet Loss: 0.0%

My speed from my ISP is slower than normal this morning so I only got 105 Mbps. I switched to primarily using StrongVPN as they seem to give me consistently higher speeds. The settings I used for PIA are attached.

Attachments

• PIASETTINGS.jpg
    PIASETTINGS.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 98

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!