What's new

PureVPN issues on Asus RT-AC86U - Merlin

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

MonkeyB

Occasional Visitor
Hello,

After a long time, I have recently updated my merlin software on my 86U. After upgrading, OpenVpn does not connect anymore. I keep getting an error that says TLS hand shake failed. PureVpn support staff do not have answers to Merlin firmware.

I am not a technical person at all. I would appreciate it if someone could post or direct me to an article where I know what to input in all the fields in my router.

Thank you very much.

ps: I used to input fields based of the comment section in PureVPN website earlier. It worked sometimes.

Thanks for sharing the link. I was able to talk to PureVPN and get the updated keys. It seems to work now.

Another question is in regards to the settings I need to maintain for the best possible connection. Below are the default settings I have currently. I would greatly appreciate it if you/anyone can take a look and share your opinions.

I have removed some fields such as IP addresses. Thanks again.

Screen Shot 2019-07-19 at 12.10.02 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-07-19 at 12.10.48 PM.png

Are the settings according to your configuration file provided by PureVPN?
OpenVPN works best on UDP protocol. On TCP you may expect about 30% lower transfer speeds.

Thanks. PureVPn does not provide any settings. These are settings that are already there on Merlin. I just updated username/password fields, CA fields and input servers. Everything else was pre-populated.

I have read that TCP is best for torrenting and such. Is one more secure than other? I do not mind losing some speed. Just want a reliable connection.

UDP is the protocol between you and the VPN server. The encapsulated traffic can be TCP and UDP. One reason not to use UDP is to avoid firewalls blocking UDP protocols. If you have no such restrictions, use UDP. PureVPN must provide at least port numbers for TCP and UDP for their servers.