What's new

QNAP comments on USB, eSATA backup issues

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I realize this thread is several months old, but I feel compelled to add a bit to it since most of the comments relate to backups and QNAP support - maybe someone will benefit from this post.

Our office TS-509 'woke up' (it was set to turn off at close of business and on the next morning automatically) one morning two and a half weeks ago and arbitrarily formatted the 4 installed RAID drives. Unfortunately our last back-up was a week prior so we lost some data. I submitted a help ticket through the QNAP Web site and after several days of no response I tried the forums. The next day I received an email response and started the RMA process. An RMA was issued two days later and the unit was dropped off at a QNAP office that same day. After several emails requesting updates on the status of the unit, almost two weeks have passed without a response. I again tried the forums, this time to no avail. Desperation has now set in since we depended on the unit for in-house Web development; we are considering purchasing a Synology unit in hopes their customer service is a step above. Whenever our TS-509 is returned it will most likely be relegated to file storage.

The moral of this story; do daily backups and do not depend on companies with lackluster customer support like QNAP to quickly, if ever, resolve any issues you have after purchase. A simple check of their forums for a humongous number of unanswered help request should be enough.

Update

Apparently QNAP is short staffed or extremely overwhelmed, hence the lack of communication. We finally got our TS-509 back with a new MOBO. After several attempts the same day I got through to tech support and was assisted with recovering our data and restoring the unit to a functional state.

Apparently QNAP is short staffed or extremely overwhelmed, hence the lack of communication. We finally got our TS-509 back with a new MOBO. After several attempts the same day I got through to tech support and was assisted with recovering our data and restoring the unit to a functional state.

More than 4 weeks to get a unit repaired? Absolutely pathetic and unacceptable. I'm surprised you weren't still flaming QNAP.