What's new

QNAP NAS Hacked

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

In the case of QLocker and Deadbolt ransomware on QNAP and now Asustore NAS boxes, 2FA, strong passwords, VLANs, firewalls, etc are no defense as they exploited vulnerabilities in the operating system bypassing all those protections. I am not saying that you shouldn't use those things, but in this particular attack they would offer no protection and would not minimize the threat.
Never used NAS as we don’t see the need.

Our storage inc music and photos are < 1 TB. Its
stored in One drive, a copy on the PC and an offline back up. A copy of our photos are also on icloud. We haven’t bothered ripping movies.

However, OS and software vulnerabilities are
not uncommon. They are valid, be it NAS, Windows, Mac OS, etc.

Again, I was NEVER pushing firewalls. You seem to be missing my point completely. I never said a firewall prevented anything.
Let me try again. YOU said a "dedicated hardware firewall" was essential. I said that a firewall, dedicated or part or another device, was just as valid. A hardware or software (aren't all firewalls really just software anyway?) provided similar protection. I NEVER stated anything along the lines of this being the only protection, nor did I state it was actually useful in any way.

Not sure why you keep going on about it. If you are looking for some sort of fight, you will have to go elesewhere.
I didn't mean to fight.
'I've been running multiple NAS for 15 years on my home network with nothing more than a commercial router and have not had any security breaches of any kind (knocking on wood).' I just really hate that kind of sentence. That's why. It seems to be 'I use it. I don't have any issue. So this device rocks'.
I apology if you didn't mean it.

Never used NAS as we don’t see the need.

Our storage inc music and photos are < 1 TB. Its
stored in One drive, a copy on the PC and an offline back up. A copy of our photos are also on icloud. We haven’t bothered ripping movies.

However, OS and software vulnerabilities are
not uncommon. They are valid, be it NAS, Windows, Mac OS, etc.
That's good. I use NAS and External HDD which are not connected to the internet. I never store important files in the NAS.:)
I store important files in the M-DISC Blu-ray like family videos and photos something.:D My dad gave me a lot of blank media such as CD, DVD, Blu-ray...
His blank media collections are mine now.;)

Last edited:
How have you found working with the M-Disc media ?
any issues with burning or retrieving ?
devices that can burn a disk ?

How have you found working with the M-Disc media ?
any issues with burning or retrieving ?
devices that can burn a disk ?
There is no burning issue at all.
M-DISC DVD: required a DVD burner which suppots M-DISC.
M-DISC Blu-ray: required a Blu-ray burner which supports M-DISC. Blu-Ray burner can burn Blu-Ray M-DISC and DVD M-DISC.
Blu-ray burner is cheap.

That's good. I use NAS and External HDD which are not connected to the internet. I never store important files in the NAS.:)
I store important files in the M-DISC Blu-ray like family videos and photos something.:D My dad gave me a lot of blank media such as CD, DVD, Blu-ray...
His blank media collections are mine now.;)
Some one still uses M-Disc in 2020s. I thought we have moved on. Exceptions are always there. Here is one! :D

Is there a reason you use this instead of SSDs? Of course, it is claimed to last 1000 years! :)

it should last as long as there are readers. :cool:

i still have my old punch cards, but finding a reader is a real pain ;-)

Some one still uses M-Disc in 2020s. I thought we have moved on. Exceptions are always there. Here is one! :D

Is there a reason you use this instead of SSDs? Of course, it is claimed to last 1000 years! :)
o_O
I use those media for Archival purpose, mostly family videos and photos. I use HDDs, SSDs, USB Flash drives, Micro sd cards, Cloud something like that as normal storages.
Many people think SSDs and HDDs are ok for archival. But it's not. You can't store data in SSDs for years. If you store data in your SSD over 2 years WITHOUT POWER you may lose your data. HDD? HDD is longer than SSD but you may lose your data in some years.
The data is lost like that? It can't be recovered. That's why important files are stored in Media, other storage, moving to moving periodically. I don't like to power on and scan drives periodically. You should scan whole drives periodically too. I like fire and forget. I see a lot of people who are contacting Data recovery companies. There are a lot of researches about it. I can't give you the links because it bothers me.

Last edited:
it should last as long as there are readers. :cool:

i still have my old punch cards, but finding a reader is a real pain ;-)
Agree 100% I still have a box or two of the cards, whatever they were called, where you had to use a pencil instead of a punch. I think they were still technically punch cards, but a real pain in the you know what. Particularly if you dropped the box. Being able to autopunch the cards was a huge game changer and saved me hours of work.

I think the key to long term storage is adaptability. "Cloud" storage has simplified things for most general users, but I'm not personally a big fan, but do use it for some things. It takes the hardware element away.

Some of the data I still maintain today originated on 3.5" floppies (maybe even 5.25", but I doubt it), then got migrated to various tape formats, then CD, then DVD, then USB stick and now NAS and cloud. It is fun once in a while to dig out the old source code from Apple ][ programs and such.

Similarly, I have video that originated as Super 8(mm) back in the 1960's, got transfered to DVD, then ripped, now on NAS and cloud in a variety of formats.

@follower, I don't trust optical media at all. Many examples of where they have failed. I trust a Live system (NAS) that is duplicated on another NAS, offsite, that is backed up to an external HDD, that is then also backed up to the cloud (at least the important files). In other words, there is not one thing that I trust.

Anything that requires a special 'reader' and that isn't readily available, and more importantly, is delicate and slow, is not a real backup solution. No matter what other benefits it may seem to offer. YMMV.

My external usb-floppy drive still comes in handy once in a while. :) and an old 20MB (no, not a typo, 20MB) HDD that i power up once in a while just for fun.

Never had much luck longevity-wise with either tape or CD/DVD backups. Had too many go unreadable.

@follower, I don't trust optical media at all. Many examples of where they have failed. I trust a Live system (NAS) that is duplicated on another NAS, offsite, that is backed up to an external HDD, that is then also backed up to the cloud (at least the important files). In other words, there is not one thing that I trust.

Anything that requires a special 'reader' and that isn't readily available, and more importantly, is delicate and slow, is not a real backup solution. No matter what other benefits it may seem to offer. YMMV.
M-DISC tech is completely different from normal optical media. But I trust nothing. That's why I store data in the different devices including NAS, Internal HDD, External HDD, USB, Micro SD, SSD, Cloud something like that. I use External NVMEs instead of USB Flash Drives a lot. I only store family videos and photos in M-DISC with triple backup. Absolutely I store those same important data in HDDs too. I've seen a lot of people who lose their unrecoverable data. I even saw bankrupted companies because they lost data including Accounting record. NAS duplication? I've seen people and companies that lost all of data or important data with NAS backup system. They go bankrupt in the real world. I'm still seeing them. I use NAS too. I use NAS duplication too. Also I have experience of NAS HDDs Death with Synology so suddenly. The one of the worst backup system is NAS. It's worse than external HDDs. I think NAS is not a storing data system but a streaming data system.

Last edited:
My external usb-floppy drive still comes in handy once in a while. :) and an old 20MB (no, not a typo, 20MB) HDD that i power up once in a while just for fun.

Never had much luck longevity-wise with either tape or CD/DVD backups. Had too many go unreadable.
My dad burned a lot of media. He doesn't do it anymore:p. Over 20 years old media is still readable. As I said, my dad gave me a lot of blank media collections. But I almost don't use them. It's my collection now.;)

Thinkng about it I guess you are right maybe I should try and do this myself because as I've lost almost everything, starting from scratch and wiping my NAS and the new external hard drive clean taking them back to factory settings and starting again isn't exactly risking anything and I'll learn too.
I have seen how to initialise my NAS without having to connect to the internet just using a ethernet cable from my laptop so I will start with that.

I have looked into my BT router and can see where to 'turn off UPnP' which I have done. I ave also changed the port number on my NAS from 808 to another number and I can see it has appeared on my BT router. I have said yes to deleting the port forwarding rules to the NAS on the router too. I have also disconnected/unplugged the NAS directly from the router.

I have always kept up-to-date with NAS firmware and have the latest version on my NAS and the same for any QNAP apps too including anti virus etc.

I have always kept up-to-date with NAS firmware and have the latest version on my NAS and the same for any QNAP apps too including anti virus etc.
Actually, up-to-date firmware, OS, Antivirus don't help that much because of Zero-day vulnerability Attack. They usually release the fix after a disaster happens.
Antivirus adds Virus Signature after a disaster happens. One of the dangerous attack is unknown vulnerability. It's traded for the money in the black market with a dedicated hacking tool or exploit codes. Disconnect NAS from internet.

Last edited: