What's new

QNAP TR-004 4 Bay DAS

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

distilled

Does anyone happen to have one of these, and might you be able to share any advice? I need trustworthy storage for a growing collection of video that is currently at about 28 TB. It is currently stored on an assortment of 6 TB and 8 TB USB drives, which is far from ideal. There is some redundancy, but it is getting to be a real mess.

I am thinking RAID-5 with the TR-004 with 3 16 TB Seagate IronWolf ST16000NE000 drives, since they are on QNAP's comparability list.

No need for NAS, and no need for tremendous read or write speed, this DAS would just hang off of a Plex server that rarely has more than one person using it at a time. This would be more of an answer to tidiness and data integrity than anything else.

I like QNAP in general, but some of the reviews on Amazon indicate that this cheaper, lower end enclosure may not have the build quality one would hope for. If anyone has suggestions for a DAS with hardware RAID, I would really appreciate your advice and comments.

Hope everyone is staying safe, keeping productive, and that deep breathing exercises and meditation have been enough to keep you from going crazy after being boxed up with those strangers who you once thought of as "family". They are counting on us, let's be good to them.

For the price asked, I would buy an actual (QNAP) NAS unit. Plug it into the network and forget about it.

There is no reason to be looking at these types of products, IMO. :)

For the price asked, I would buy an actual (QNAP) NAS unit. Plug it into the network and forget about it.

There is no reason to be looking at these types of products, IMO. :)

Thanks, maybe I will do that. Some reviews make me concerned about the build quality of that DAS. It is only $200, but it would be housing $1500 in three drives. If I splurge for a full NAS, it will kick the price up a good bit for something that I don't really need. But if the DAS is flimsy, I'd rather spend the money.

I hoped to stay busy while quarantined, but today, "busy" has meant shopping for toys online. We need to beat this virus, because this cannot continue. My wife, and I love her dearly, is much more dangerous than COVID.

The reason I would not buy that DAS is that I would not have that kind of capacity of data on a very proprietary platform. I have no doubt that the build quality is sufficient for the intended use. I just also don't like single/focused use products either. If you can afford a true NAS, I have no doubt you will be in a position to use its extra capabilities over its lifespan. ;)

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!