What's new

Qnap TS-659 Owner needs new NAS

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

swoti

Occasional Visitor
Hi Guys,
I owned an Qnap TS-659 NAS which was configured as a Raid5 with 6x2TB HDD. Now I need a new NAS and would prefer a smaller NAS with max 5 disks. I would like to use 6TB drives and it would be nice to have USB3.
Could you please recommend a NAS.
I use it for storing family images, some music, literature and movies.
Would you recommend Qnap or Synology?

QNAP only recommends the Enterprise Seagate 6TB models for use in it's NAS's.

For the price difference, I would (still) buy a QNAP 6 bay model and leave one drive free if you don't need the extra capacity right away.

I would also rather use WD RED drives too instead of Seagate.

5 or 6 bay models are not that much different, size-wise.

Thanks for the tipp. I used the RED in my old NAS too. Can you recommend an NAS? Would you stay with QNAP or switch to synology? I didn´t like the Qsync function it never worked correctly and was pretty slow. Maybe I should give synology a try.

I would stay with QNAP myself - fast updates to new security issues and stable performance is all I ask for myself and my customers.

I have and used the TS-220, TS-469L, TS-670 Pro and played with a few others. Along with QTS 4.1 and maxing out the ram on the units that I could upgrade has been very satisfying and allows me to get the performance I or my customers need.

I don't use Qsync or have a need to recreate the wheel when Dropbox is available. If a service or option doesn't work; don't use it.

Never hurts to try something new, it's only dollars after all. But in my opinion, QNAP is the best NAS hardware/software solution available for a few years now. But getting proved wrong would mean learning something new, so I await your comparison report on your experiences if you do decide to give Synology a spin.

I would stay with QNAP myself - fast updates to new security issues and stable performance is all I ask for myself and my customers.

I have and used the TS-220, TS-469L, TS-670 Pro and played with a few others. Along with QTS 4.1 and maxing out the ram on the units that I could upgrade has been very satisfying and allows me to get the performance I or my customers need.

I don't use Qsync or have a need to recreate the wheel when Dropbox is available. If a service or option doesn't work; don't use it.

Never hurts to try something new, it's only dollars after all. But in my opinion, QNAP is the best NAS hardware/software solution available for a few years now. But getting proved wrong would mean learning something new, so I await your comparison report on your experiences if you do decide to give Synology a spin.

I totally agree on staying with QNAP. However going to a 5 disc NAS gives more flexibility in drive configuration due to power consumption and heat dispensing.

I'm totally happy with my 569 PRO stacked with 5 4TB WD RED

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPad met behulp van Tapatalk

Thanks for your answer. I like the TS-651 and I would start with some 6TB Reds from WD. But first I will have to sell my old TS-659 with 6x2TB WD. What do you think is a price I could get for my old NAS?
Would you recommend another NAS from Qnap?

Nobody with an idea for the price? Would be great to get some opinions. Thanks. ;o)

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!