1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

Qnap TS-659 Owner needs new NAS

Discussion in 'NAS Buying Advice' started by swoti, Nov 9, 2014.

1. swoti

swoti Occasional Visitor

Hi Guys,
    I owned an Qnap TS-659 NAS which was configured as a Raid5 with 6x2TB HDD. Now I need a new NAS and would prefer a smaller NAS with max 5 disks. I would like to use 6TB drives and it would be nice to have USB3.
    Could you please recommend a NAS.
    I use it for storing family images, some music, literature and movies.
    Would you recommend Qnap or Synology?

2. L&LD

L&LD Part of the Furniture

QNAP only recommends the Enterprise Seagate 6TB models for use in it's NAS's.

For the price difference, I would (still) buy a QNAP 6 bay model and leave one drive free if you don't need the extra capacity right away.

I would also rather use WD RED drives too instead of Seagate.

5 or 6 bay models are not that much different, size-wise.

3. swoti

swoti Occasional Visitor

Thanks for the tipp. I used the RED in my old NAS too. Can you recommend an NAS? Would you stay with QNAP or switch to synology? I didn´t like the Qsync function it never worked correctly and was pretty slow. Maybe I should give synology a try.

4. L&LD

L&LD Part of the Furniture

I would stay with QNAP myself - fast updates to new security issues and stable performance is all I ask for myself and my customers.

I have and used the TS-220, TS-469L, TS-670 Pro and played with a few others. Along with QTS 4.1 and maxing out the ram on the units that I could upgrade has been very satisfying and allows me to get the performance I or my customers need.

I don't use Qsync or have a need to recreate the wheel when Dropbox is available. If a service or option doesn't work; don't use it.

Never hurts to try something new, it's only dollars after all. But in my opinion, QNAP is the best NAS hardware/software solution available for a few years now. But getting proved wrong would mean learning something new, so I await your comparison report on your experiences if you do decide to give Synology a spin.

5. Quiptix

Quiptix Occasional Visitor

I totally agree on staying with QNAP. However going to a 5 disc NAS gives more flexibility in drive configuration due to power consumption and heat dispensing.

I'm totally happy with my 569 PRO stacked with 5 4TB WD RED

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPad met behulp van Tapatalk

6. swoti

swoti Occasional Visitor

Thanks for your answer. I like the TS-651 and I would start with some 6TB Reds from WD. But first I will have to sell my old TS-659 with 6x2TB WD. What do you think is a price I could get for my old NAS?
    Would you recommend another NAS from Qnap?

7. swoti

swoti Occasional Visitor

Nobody with an idea for the price? Would be great to get some opinions. Thanks. ;o)