What's new

Qnap TS653D or Synology 1618+

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

kmaulsby18

Occasional Visitor
Hello, this is my first post. Looking for a new six-bay NAS. I have own both brands before older smaller models. I would like to have two more drive bays for flexibility. This how I used the NAS. I store my photos, and videos, I do not edit from the NAS. I will be using it to backup three computers, using it as a plex server for music, home movie, my DVD collection, storing STEAM, and other games on it. I have a 10Gbe switch and a 10Gbe on my main desktop so I can transfer files from the switch to the NAS quickly, so I have to add a 10Gbe card to the new NAS. I do have 4K videos but mostly play them on the home television set so transcoding is not a big deal. And last I will be running at least one to two VM's not at the same time. Any opinions or suggestions?

I would suggest an 8 or 10 bay NAS instead. Remember, you don't have to buy all the drives today.

Have it with 16GB+ RAM and a Core CPU and use/install/configure it from the first run with just 2x SSD's in RAID1 for the NAS install proper.

Then, add the additional drives you need (RAID1 or 10) and create another volume for the DATA. Add additional drives as needed for the VM's and STEAM (RAID1 or 10).

Setup as above (and I recommend QNAP), the NAS will be functional and useful for an exceptionally long time (over a decade).

Use the older models for backup of the new/main NAS. Buy them new HDD's and configure them with their latest OS cleanly (RAID1 or 10).

I would suggest an 8 or 10 bay NAS instead. Remember, you don't have to buy all the drives today.

Have it with 16GB+ RAM and a Core CPU and use/install/configure it from the first run with just 2x SSD's in RAID1 for the NAS install proper.

Then, add the additional drives you need (RAID1 or 10) and create another volume for the DATA. Add additional drives as needed for the VM's and STEAM (RAID1 or 10).

Setup as above (and I recommend QNAP), the NAS will be functional and useful for an exceptionally long time (over a decade).

Use the older models for backup of the new/main NAS. Buy them new HDD's and configure them with their latest OS cleanly (RAID1 or 10).

Do you have any recommendation for a cheap 8~10 bay NAS? most I've seen are super expensive.

A NAS is an almost perfect product, 'recommended' and 'cheap' don't come together easily for such a medley.

I say it's quite inexpensive considering that HDD's are 'consumables' (and I don't count them as part of the NAS' cost) and quality (QNAP/Synology) NAS hardware itself will be usable into 2031 and beyond today with little to no maintenance, for mere storage duties.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07XHF5MTZ/?tag=snbforums-20

The link above shows what can be had for a little more than the cost of Microsoft 365 (formerly Office 365) per year.

If I go with 8 bays the Synology 1819+ would still be in the budget under 1K, but I think all I will need is a 6 bay.

Last edited:
If 1819 8 Bay NAS is within your budget, use the extra two bays for the NAS OS install to two drives in RAID1. You won't be sorry you did that. :)

This may be something to consider too, particularly if Plex is used/required.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01GF7WKEK/?tag=snbforums-20

Thanks... it's a bit too rich for my taste... at those prices, I could go DIY setup with Atom or Pentium Single Board Computers (SBC)s..

Pre-package NAS prices are still too high.. they are really just SBC packaged in a nice case and I just can't see myself paying those prices when I know how it works and how it was put together... :cool:

Sure, I wish you good luck. The hardware is one side of the equation. Do you have the same grasp on the NAS software side? :)

Why are you stuck into 6+ drive bays? Seems way overkill for your use-case.

For straight up storage, unless critical files, a 2-bay is generally all you need. A 4-bay give you a lot of flexibility at moderate cost.

Don't go for more bays just to add storage capacity, just get bigger drives. My data NAS is still an old D-Link 2-bay with my QNAP 5-bay for backups, storage, etc.

If functioning as purely storage, a couple GB of RAM is all you need. My TS563 came with 2gb and was perfect for that usage. I only upgraded to 16gb when I played with containers and plex. (Both of which I don't bother with now).

Last edited:
Why are you stuck into 6+ drive bays? Seems way overkill for your use-case.

For straight up storage, unless critical files, a 2-bay is generally all you need. A 4-bay give you a lot of flexibility at moderate cost.

Don't go for more bays just to add storage capacity, just get bigger drives. My data NAS is still an old D-Link 2-bay with my QNAP 5-bay for backups, storage, etc.

If functioning as purely storage, a couple GB of RAM is all you need. My TS563 came with 2gb and was perfect for that usage. I only upgraded to 16gb when I played with containers and plex. (Both of which I don't bother with now).
I do HD and 4K editing after COVID I know I will be doing a lot of 4K projects and a lot of pictures. A lot of critical files.

I do HD and 4K editing after COVID I know I will be doing a lot of 4K projects and a lot of pictures. A lot of critical files.
Fair enough and obviously your choice. Your original post didn't seem to indicate any usage other than storage.

I have been away. Yes I forgot about doing VM'S and containers. And I will be doing some editing but my workflow may not need it.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!