What's new

QoS and Gaming

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I wish symmetrical internet packages were more available & affordable at any speed here in Canada! there are days I'd gladly trade some of my DL speed for more Up - ie make my 50/10 more 40/20 (...and why arent we talking connection speeds in Bytes rather than bits 30 years or so into at-home internet? can we make that part of the great reset to build back better please?)

Back on topic: Chicago is a closer ping than Winnipeg or Toronto or Ottawa? Or Minneapolis? (your profile says Northern Ontario... I seem to recall there's an IX in North Bay and possibly Thunder Bay as well, maybe even the Sault and/or Sudbury...NOnt is a big place, close to but far enough from other places than most realize lol)

check out he.net - their list is extensive and surprising... (and do consider IPv6 if your connection supports it natively. if it doesn't, you can DDNS tunnel to whichever of their endpoints is nearest and that might possibly help with ping)

I wish symmetrical internet packages were more available & affordable at any speed here in Canada! there are days I'd gladly trade some of my DL speed for more Up - ie make my 50/10 more 40/20 (...and why arent we talking connection speeds in Bytes rather than bits 30 years or so into at-home internet? can we make that part of the great reset to build back better please?)

Back on topic: Chicago is a closer ping than Winnipeg or Toronto or Ottawa? Or Minneapolis? (your profile says Northern Ontario... I seem to recall there's an IX in North Bay and possibly Thunder Bay as well, maybe even the Sault and/or Sudbury...NOnt is a big place, close to but far enough from other places than most realize lol)

check out he.net - their list is extensive and surprising... (and do consider IPv6 if your connection supports it natively. if it doesn't, you can DDNS tunnel to whichever of their endpoints is nearest and that might possibly help with ping)
I usually ping all the major (NA East places where the majority of the servers are) NYNY, TO, Montreal, Chicago, Ottawa, etc.

So as per thread - I guess QoS may or may not help - test and see. Got it. Will try it out next time get together. Thanks

Last edited:
I usually ping all the major (NA East places where the majority of the servers are) NYNY, TO, Montreal, Chicago, Ottawa, etc.

So as per thread - I guess QoS may or may not help - test and see. Got it. Will try it out next time get together. Thanks
QoS is not related in your case. QoS doesn't help at all. If UPnP or port forwarding doesn't work your internet speed is the problem like I said it before.
All of 'AiProtection' should be disabled. You may test the game hosting without the router. Test it.

Last edited:
QoS is not related in your case. QoS doesn't help at all. If UPnP or port forwarding don't work your internet speed is the problem like I said it before.
All of 'AiProtection' should be disabled. You may test the game hosting without the router. Test it.
Thanks.

I can tell my friends it’s their setup then since mine has been optimized. :). (Can’t blame me for my isp ;)