What's new

qos and voip questions

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

First, set your upload speed to about 80% of your max speed (so, 800 KBits or 0.8 Mbits in your case).

If you are using a hardware ATA to plug your phones (I use a Cisco SP112 myself), create a user rule with either High or Highest priority, set to the MAC address of your ATA, and leave all other fields blank. If you are using a software phone, then check which port it's using for communicating (SIP is usually UDP 5060), and set the rule to your computer running the softphone, and port 5060 UDP.

Port 5060 is only SIP signalling. To add QoS rules for the voice stream component, you'll need to find out which ports are being used for RTP. Your VoIP provider can probably provide this for you. It'll be a large range of ports. Since you can only input one port at a time in the current firmware (it would be nice if we could specify a range), if you're using a softphone, the only real way to do anything useful is to specify the MAC of your PC and prioritize all UDP packets for that MAC.

Last edited:
You'll need to measure your upload and download speeds using a site such as Speedtest.net and enter those values in as upload and download, respectively.

QoS needs to be set for YOUR configuration. Others' rules, while they work for them, may not work for you for a variety of reasons. My suggestion wasn't even a ruleset, just a set of guidelines to follow when making new rules.

I'll give you a more concrete example, however. (I always delete the default Asus ruleset and create my own, so I'll assume that you're starting off with no QoS rules defined).

• Create a DNS, Time, NTP and RSVP entry. This is in the drop down as a Service Name, so simply select it and ensure it has highest priority.
  • Create an entry for your Ooma device. Use a suitable name (like Ooma) as a Service Name. Under "Source IP or MAC", enter the MAC address of the Ooma device. Select ANY protocol and give it high priority.
  • Create a web surf rule. Asus provides one but I like to combine the two that Asus uses into one. Call it "Web Surf", destination port "80,443", TCP protocol, 0~512KB transferred, medium priority.
  • Create a file transfer rule. Again, Asus provides one but I like to combine the two that Asus uses into one. Call it "File Transfer", destination port "80,443", TCP protocol, 512KB~ transferred, low priority.

If you have other devices or services needing QoS (Xbox Live or PlayStation Network, other VoIP services, etc), you should be creating rules for those as well.

Please do not just copy/paste the rules I've defined above. These are meant to show you how to set up QoS - you should be adapting for your own configuration.
@got_milk thank you very much for this guide. Made the difference with my 4G-AC53U I use at work with a 4G connection!