What's new

QoS: any point on 500Mbit synchronous Internet connection?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

finite9

Regular Contributor
title says it all. Do people just disable QoS altogether on links > 100Mbit? Or is there still a point? I heard that there could be performance penalties when enabled Qos in this situation.

title says it all. Do people just disable QoS altogether on links > 100Mbit? Or is there still a point? I heard that there could be performance penalties when enabled Qos in this situation.

Always depends on how you use that bandwidth. If you have a lot of users fully utilizing it with torrents at the same time you are using VoIP, it might still be needed. But for a typical home, chances are it isn't.

Adaptive QoS shouldn't have any major impact on performance.

Merlin's above post is accurate. Who your ISP is, is also important. Some have bufferbloat problems, some do not.

If you do not notice any problems, avoid playing with QoS.