What's new

QOS Cake or FlexQOS/Adaptive for Gaming?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Xruptor

Regular Contributor
Hey everyone! I know there is a thread here talking about this but a few of them are quite old and one was derailed slightly on the second page ;) (https://www.snbforums.com/threads/how-to-choose-between-cake-and-adaptive-flex-qos.72101/)

I have an RT-AX86U with a network that is quite complicated. I have several ROKU's, Android Devices, Alexa EchoDots, 1 media Server, wireless printer, several gaming devices on the network and a VOIP phone. There is a moderate amount of streaming done on the network with YouTube/NetFlex/Prime etc.. I have ALWAYS used QOS because at any given time my network could get bottlenecked depending on what's going on. In the past I used FlexQOS (FreshQOS) and it worked fine. I ALWAYS prioritize the gaming consoles over anything on the network. I want top notch performance from my gaming systems at all time above anything on the network. This is why I used FlexQOS.

However, with the recent router upgrade I now have access to Cake QOS and I was wondering if it was worthwhile to switch to it over FlexQOS. I was trying to lookout information on comparisons and only really came across a few threads. Mileage varies and some prefer Cake over FlexQOS and vice versa. OR Should I just use the basic Adaptive QOS?

So I'm looking for opinions based on my network and preference for gaming.

If I recall it was best to set your preferences to 90% or 95% of what you clock at in the speedtest. So ideally the settings should be like this.

Download -> ~320 to 322 MBps
Upload -> ~10 to 11 Mbps

It's also recommend to do fq_codel last I recall.

I've been using the built in speedtest on the router to determine my speeds. Unless I should use a browser based one (https://www.speedtest.net/ or https://speedtest.xfinity.com etc..), the one that comes with the router seems pretty good. Unless that one is not entirely accurate? These are a couple of my results.

1650988450007.png

1650989978375.png

If you'd recommend Cake QOS? What should I be looking at for the settings for an RT-AX86U? I see some folks talking about besteffort, diffserv4, etc..

What I'm confused as is that some folks say not to bother with Cake QOS if your internet speed is > 350 Mbps. Does that mean I should just automatically lean towards FlexQOS because I have 358 Mbps?

This is why I'm looking for suggestions and advice :) Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Hey everyone! I know there is a thread here talking about this but a few of them are quite old and one was derailed slightly on the second page ;) (https://www.snbforums.com/threads/how-to-choose-between-cake-and-adaptive-flex-qos.72101/)

I have an RT-AX86U with a network that is quite complicated. I have several ROKU's, Android Devices, Alexa EchoDots, 1 media Server, wireless printer, several gaming devices on the network and a VOIP phone. There is a moderate amount of streaming done on the network with YouTube/NetFlex/Prime etc.. I have ALWAYS used QOS because at any given time my network could get bottlenecked depending on what's going on. In the past I used FlexQOS (FreshQOS) and it worked fine. I ALWAYS prioritize the gaming consoles over anything on the network. I want top notch performance from my gaming systems at all time above anything on the network. This is why I used FlexQOS.

However, with the recent router upgrade I now have access to Cake QOS and I was wondering if it was worthwhile to switch to it over FlexQOS. I was trying to lookout information on comparisons and only really came across a few threads. Mileage varies and some prefer Cake over FlexQOS and vice versa. OR Should I just use the basic Adaptive QOS?

So I'm looking for opinions based on my network and preference for gaming.

If I recall it was best to set your preferences to 90% or 95% of what you clock at in the speedtest. So ideally the settings should be like this.

Download -> ~320 to 322 MBps
Upload -> ~10 to 11 Mbps

It's also recommend to do fq_codel last I recall.

I've been using the built in speedtest on the router to determine my speeds. Unless I should use a browser based one (https://www.speedtest.net/ or https://speedtest.xfinity.com etc..), the one that comes with the router seems pretty good. Unless that one is not entirely accurate? These are a couple of my results.

View attachment 40984

View attachment 40985

If you'd recommend Cake QOS? What should I be looking at for the settings for an RT-AX86U? I see some folks talking about besteffort, diffserv4, etc..

What I'm confused as is that some folks say not to bother with Cake QOS if your internet speed is > 350 Mbps. Does that mean I should just automatically lean towards FlexQOS because I have 358 Mbps?

This is why I'm looking for suggestions and advice :) Thanks in advance!
I recently tried CAKE but I'm back with Flex. If you're into gaming just prioritize your gaming devices as @dave14305 stated. While using CAKE I noticed 1 of my wireless gaming device would slightly lag at random times (FPS game). With Flex, I've never had issues with online gaming (both wired and wireless device). You can always give a test but you did mentioned you used Flex before without any issues so I would stick with what has been working.

Hmm thanks for the insight. I suppose there isn't any benefit for me using CAKE and just stick to use FlexQOS then. I guess CAKE is on a different scale in terms of FlexQOS and is not really something I should be using for my particular scenario. I also read it doesn't use Hardware Acceleration so that could be a thing too.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!