What's new

QoS "issue"

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

macster2075

Very Senior Member
So I play games online and I use Cake QoS and it works great for the most part.
The issue I am having is, whenever there's an update for whatever game I'm playing, it bogs down the internet for me and everyone else.
These launchers have an option to limit download bandwidth and I have to always enable it to prevent the bog down.

My question is, why is this bypassing Cake QoS, or any QoS settings altogether?
I have tried all of them from Traditional, to Cake and they all work well, but for some reason, they have no effect on the game launchers.
For the gamers out there, I am referring to Battle.net and Epic Games launchers.

Any ideas?

My guess is you have Cake set up wrong. Please provide your config. If you are using tins, I recommend using besteffort. Otherwise you are defatting the purpose of cake. Enable NAT lookup in both directions. Don't filter markings or ACKs.

My guess is you have Cake set up wrong. Please provide your config. If you are using tins, I recommend using besteffort. Otherwise you are defatting the purpose of cake. Enable NAT lookup in both directions. Don't filter markings or ACKs.
QoS.jpg

Automatic is your issue. You must use manual and specify the amount of bandwidth you have up and down less about 10%.

Automatic is your issue. You must use manual and specify the amount of bandwidth you have up and down less about 10%.
I've tried all of that..manual/auto...everything abides by the QoS rules except the game launchers.

Do you have CAKE QOS Merlin loaded? If not, try it and configure as I described above. This is the source:

You can ask questions about it in the merlin addon's forum though I'd be happy to help

Morris

ECA6FBC4-00F8-40E3-A281-EB23B291CC81.jpeg

Here’s mine for a reference. I have a fibre symmetric connection.

If you use DSL use wan packet over head mode ATM then set from the drop down whichever is closest to your isp configuration. Normal or PTM can be used for faster connections.

Best Effort is as it says. Diffserv splits into either 3, 4 or 8 tins and categorizes packets similar to the way FlexQoS does it except it’s not as smart because it doesn’t use trend micro to really specify so it comes down to if the devices properly label them. Most cases Diffserv3 is good enough. Diffserv 4 does video and Diffserv8 does more.

“A Diffserv-aware priority queue, giving more priority to certain classes, up to a specified fraction of bandwidth. Above that bandwidth threshold, the priority is reduced to avoid starving other tins.”

C93D2B07-6B49-44BF-96D7-A03A7EF65F07.jpeg
FFF03C8D-987E-4285-B896-4AF049F537EA.jpeg
C183510A-8C33-429D-91CD-EC7ED733448B.jpeg

D36E6F01-6266-4B06-90EF-AEEE3C7FEEF3.jpeg

Last edited: