What's new

QoS slowing down fast connection

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

truglodite

Regular Contributor
Quick question, my ac86u just got a much bigger drinking straw a few weeks ago (1gbps up and down fiber in home). I was running FlexQos using adaptive mode, set to 900mbps up/dn, on a connection that always gets 950 up/down at speedtest.net. No matter what settings I try, with QoS enabled the downloads rarely ever get above ~750mbps. Uploads are unaffected, reaching 900mbps with or without QoS. I'd expect it to get 900 down as well with QoS. I speculated maybe the router was underpowered, but doesn't seem the cpu ever gets pegged during testing.

So far I've gone with just disabling QoS, and no complaints from my gamer son yet. Is this a wise strategy moving forward, or should I be working to fix QoS?

I read a few places that the ac86u may be getting long in the tooth... but if a new router won't help with this then the old dog is doing just fine.

Quick question, my ac86u just got a much bigger drinking straw a few weeks ago (1gbps up and down fiber in home). I was running FlexQos using adaptive mode, set to 900mbps up/dn, on a connection that always gets 950 up/down at speedtest.net. No matter what settings I try, with QoS enabled the downloads rarely ever get above ~750mbps. Uploads are unaffected, reaching 900mbps with or without QoS. I'd expect it to get 900 down as well with QoS. I speculated maybe the router was underpowered, but doesn't seem the cpu ever gets pegged during testing.

So far I've gone with just disabling QoS, and no complaints from my gamer son yet. Is this a wise strategy moving forward, or should I be working to fix QoS?

I read a few places that the ac86u may be getting long in the tooth... but if a new router won't help with this then the old dog is doing just fine.
If you are getting 1gb up AND down I don't see why you would need QOS anymore. I use QOS but get 1gb down but my upload is limited to 50mbs.

Thanks guys, I'll proceed without QoS then. I've used the same ISP for like 20years; they've always been fiber in home (was Winfirst, then Surewest, now CCI). I was using 50/50 before (which was very solid), but as we moved over to streaming TV, we needed an upgrade. Funny part is the whole package actually costs me less than before! ...(stupid cable boxes)