What's new

QOS Wan Packet Overhead Fiber Missing

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

TheBoatswain

Occasional Visitor
Looking for help to get things working right so I decided to try QoS to help get my issue under control. So I go to set up Adaptive QoS, in Queue Discipline I choose fq_codel it was something I read a month ago that Merlin wrote that got me there. Now on the WAN packet Overhead select drop down I noticed your missing PPPOE Gpon which Centruylink uses for their 1Gig Fiber or am I just over thinking this? You see every time I select QoS I loose 200 mbps from my speed test.

Looking for help to get things working right so I decided to try QoS to help get my issue under control. So I go to set up Adaptive QoS, in Queue Discipline I choose fq_codel it was something I read a month ago that Merlin wrote that got me there. Now on the WAN packet Overhead select drop down I noticed your missing PPPOE Gpon which Centruylink uses for their 1Gig Fiber or am I just over thinking this? You see every time I select QoS I loose 200 mbps from my speed test.

What is your line provisioned for? If you do a speedtest without QoS on and get within 95% of what your line is rated for, you do not need to use anything but 0 for WAN Packet Overhead.

I am working with Vexiria and he has giving me a couple of things to do first.
1. Following L&LD guide to get a Swap file going.
2.Get freshjr QOS uploaded then he is going to help me.
I do understand the idea of running a speed test but I think I am having an issue with my ONT as my down load speed is very slow compared to 8 months ago “930” now 690 - 760 and my upload is hitting 4565.60 in speed test.net. I spoke with a Centruylink tech last night as I have PPPOE Fiber to ask what I should put in that pull down and he said Gpon and at the same time he told me my ONT is reading a speed error for the last 8 months and is seen that I reported issues with my Fiber 6 times since the error started and they never corrected it. I have to wait until tomorrow to see what they are going to do. Sorry it took me so long to get back to you but I had to go pick up some USB drives. Thank you for reading and sharing your advice.

I am working with Vexiria and he has giving me a couple of things to do first.
1. Following L&LD guide to get a Swap file going.
2.Get freshjr QOS uploaded then he is going to help me.
I do understand the idea of running a speed test but I think I am having an issue with my ONT as my down load speed is very slow compared to 8 months ago “930” now 690 - 760 and my upload is hitting 4565.60 in speed test.net. I spoke with a Centruylink tech last night as I have PPPOE Fiber to ask what I should put in that pull down and he said Gpon and at the same time he told me my ONT is reading a speed error for the last 8 months and is seen that I reported issues with my Fiber 6 times since the error started and they never corrected it. I have to wait until tomorrow to see what they are going to do. Sorry it took me so long to get back to you but I had to go pick up some USB drives. Thank you for reading and sharing your advice.

What numbers do you get in the Speedtest app vs the browser?

You don't need to use FreshJR script period, because it's not going to fix this problem. If your line without QoS isn't hitting it's rated speed, then you have a problem probably between ONT and OLT/PON. Low signal is a common one. You should be asking the technicians for an error log, and have them check the error rate from WAN ONT and CO/OLT error rate. If you are getting that much speed degradation, it's a problem on their end. It's not a router mis-configuration. This Vexiria guy, doesn't know what he's talking about. It's not like you are saturating your entire bandwidth to the point where QoS is even kicking in anyway. ONLY use FreshJR QoS if you are getting Bufferbloat/Jitter while performing common tasks such as streaming and gaming.

The Numbers are weird, now if I use QoS My speed droops but My gaming still suffers. I am getting A huge Lag Hammer. I actually stop five guys walk by and shot me and I am watching this at the same time one guy dances they leave then my body hits the ground, it sucks. But it will play real smooth for a while I will be playing and I am A mad Man.
When I spoke to The Tech last night he said there is an issue with the ONT or the ONT programing as it has an 8 month old alert that no one cleared when I first called in. I have to call tomorrow. Also my house is new and wired with Cat6 right to the ONT but the first tech pulled inner separator real hard then cut it put the RJ-45 fitting on plugged it into the ONT and left never checked if I had internet. he had to come out because it wasn't working and he tore stands about two feet away from the ONT and now I have one of those double female extenders connecting an extension as well. But before the ONT took a crap I was getting 930 up 930 down. with QoS off. This lag issue started time I called about the weird speed issue.

Attachments

• century link shirt.png
    century link shirt.png
    267.6 KB · Views: 601
Thanks, I will call CenturyLink first thing in the morning to ask for the error log, and have them check the error rate from WAN ONT and CO/OLT error rate. I am still thinking about the extension they made after butchering the Cat6 outside. I paid good money to have the house pre wired. Thank you very much.