What's new

QUAD9 DNS

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I think the part about having to have a DNS A record lookup for a firewall to allow a client out on the internet sounds interesting. They have a proto type module for pfsense. And they are looking for a coder to support it in the future. This gives a way to control DOH to protect from malware using DOH or straight IP address in a uncontrolled method..

I think the part about having to have a DNS A record lookup for a firewall to allow a client out on the internet sounds interesting. They have a proto type module for pfsense. And they are looking for a coder to support it in the future. This gives a way to control DOH to protect from malware using DOH or straight IP address in a uncontrolled method..
With Windows 10 supporting DoH soon, this could be helpful for security.

It's a long video, but I was listening to it while working on other things. It was definitely interesting.

I confess to not knowing much about DNS but have Quad9 in my asus router and i have the app. However I do use Nordvpn mostly on my cell. When I am on home Wi-Fi do I rely on Quad9 protection on my cell as it's on my router or......? If so my Nordvpn works with it however when I turn Quad9 app on it boots off Nordvpn so they don't work together. Thanks for any replies

I use Wi-Fi for my cells at home and my DHCP hands out DNS which is QUAD9. So my cells, iPhones end up using QUAD9.

I am not sure what you are referring to as the QUAD9 app? It is DNS.

Should have been more clear, there is an app called quad9 connect, not entirely sure what it does although it does show the locked symbol when it's on so maybe vpn ish?

Should have been more clear, there is an app called quad9 connect, not entirely sure what it does although it does show the locked symbol when it's on so maybe vpn ish?
If your router already uses Quad9, see if there’s an option in the Android app to disable Quad9 when connected to your home WiFi SSID, since it would be redundant and potentially battery draining to have the quasi-VPN active when at home.

Because I don't actually use the app cos I don't quite understand what it does I am happy sticking with Nord. What I really don't get is I am able to use nord with quad9 set up on router but can't when I want to use the app on my cell, pretty certain it's acting like a vpn and not a dis set up on my cell

Because I don't actually use the app cos I don't quite understand what it does I am happy sticking with Nord. What I really don't get is I am able to use nord with quad9 set up on router but can't when I want to use the app on my cell, pretty certain it's acting like a vpn and not a dis set up on my cell
Usually these apps setup a “partial” VPN connection so they can intercept your phone’s DNS requests, but they don’t usually send your non-DNS traffic through the VPN. So when NordVPN is running, there’s a VPN conflict on the phone. There can be only one active.

Ah got it. I have tried to see what the difference is between the 2 I.e. is one better than the other or as they are doing different things, I can't compare

Ah got it. I have tried to see what the difference is between the 2 I.e. is one better than the other or as they are doing different things, I can't compare

Using NordVPN on your Android :

1) Only download the .APK file direct from the Nord webpage, this allows you to select " CyberSec" which protects against malware/viruses and adverts. If you download from PlayStore, Google policies do not allow advert blocking so CyberSec is not working to its full potential.

2) Ditch the Quad9 app it is not needed. In your Nord settings page you can select "Custom DNS" ( this turns off CyberSec) and you choose any DNS you wish. Personally I would always stick with the Nord DNS as you will get the best protection.

3) Any app you want to run outside of the VPN can be listed in Nords settings using "Split Tunelling".