What's new

CakeQOS Question about cake sqm on AX RT 86S (gaming expirience)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

choo

New Around Here
Hi everyone, im newbie guy in network and wrt`s
Wanna ask you guys, i need to improve my gaming expirience by cake sqm
I have ISP router by ONT used dhcp connection (fiber 500/500mbit, but im okey with 200/200mbit), want to bridge wan port, and connect asus AX 86S (want to buy) with Merlin WRT
here is my bufferbloat with ONT Nokia Router.
I have about 5 connections, my pc, tv (only youtube) and 3 smartphones (network serfing)
but sometimes i have loss packets in games, ping spikes in esports games, and its make me nervous)
=================================================================
Should i buy ax 86s and try to setting sqm cake for gaming?
Thanks all and please forgive me for stupid questions and incorrect spelling in English

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    299.2 KB · Views: 54
Welcome, choo
is your PC connected to your router wirelessly? That would be adding a little bit of latency. Try an ethernet cable and see if things improve for you.

Welcome, choo
is your PC connected to your router wirelessly? That would be adding a little bit of latency. Try an ethernet cable and see if things improve for you.
I play only with cable, cat7 to my computer

Last edited:
Have you tried FlexQoS? I would recommend creating a gaming rule for your PC and prioritize the Gaming category with Flex. With your speeds some would say you don't need QoS enabled.

Have you tried FlexQoS? I would recommend creating a gaming rule for your PC and prioritize the Gaming category with Flex. With your speeds some would say you don't need QoS enabled.
ty for info, i didnt tried, because i expect to buy ax86s. Flexqos working like dspc marks for traffic? thanks

ty for info, i didnt tried, because i expect to buy ax86s. Flexqos working like dspc marks for traffic? thanks
FlexQoS is an updated version of the older FreshQOS script that improves the builtin Adaptive QOS. It improves traffic flow/rates etc...to ensure everything is for the most part classified correctly or at a minimum better than the default setup. It allows to create rules for you specific needs as well. See more info:

Thread '[Release] FreshJR Adaptive QOS (Improvements / Custom Rules / and Inner workings)' https://www.snbforums.com/threads/r...ements-custom-rules-and-inner-workings.36836/

My simple setup with Flex:

Last edited:
Choo - a bit more information from you about your fibre connection would be helpful; for instance, is there an ONT that the fibre comes to, and THEN the ISP machine?
There may be other things happening on your connection making the gaming experience less than you expect. (It could also be as good as it gets because of the distance between you and the sever you connect to)
Also, you should be aware that CakeQoS has been shown to have limits below the line speed you're paying for from your ISP, so if you want to go with QoS/SQM on an asus router, FlexQoS is the one to use, as @Kingp1n has pointed out

Should i buy ax 86s and try to setting sqm cake for gaming?

No, don't waste your money. You have pretty good ISP line. Your latency issues may not be ISP related but the servers the games connect to. Also RT-AX86S is perhaps discontinued model now. The current version of 86-series is RT-AX86U Pro. But you perhaps don't need this one either.

Choo - a bit more information from you about your fibre connection would be helpful; for instance, is there an ONT that the fibre comes to, and THEN the ISP machine?
There may be other things happening on your connection making the gaming experience less than you expect. (It could also be as good as it gets because of the distance between you and the sever you connect to)
Also, you should be aware that CakeQoS has been shown to have limits below the line speed you're paying for from your ISP, so if you want to go with QoS/SQM on an asus router, FlexQoS is the one to use, as @Kingp1n has pointed out
I have ONT Router Nokia from my ISP, which i cant replace (its ISP optical terminal, i can ask them to bridge wan connection on terminal, then put my router after terminal). I can reduce my network speed to minimize jitters, i dont need high bandwith connection (i mostly play games, and browsing/working) then its okey for me). I used bandwith control method on my previous isp (not fiber connection), i reduced my network speed on 25% and got strong A+. also had smoother gameplay, then now with my fiber connection. That why i want to take new router to limit bandwith and use more effective alghoritms like SQM)

No, don't waste your money. You have pretty good ISP line. Your latency issues may not be ISP related but the servers the games connect to. Also RT-AX86S is perhaps discontinued model now. The current version of 86-series is RT-AX86U Pro. But you perhaps don't need this one either.
Oh, i think, i have problems with outside connections, kinda bad routing in some games ( i think . i should use vpn to help routing). My avg ping in fps shooters = 90-100ms, it cant be reduced by good router or isp, i know
May be i can reduce network packet jiiter and make routing better via VPN on router, that my last hope :D

May be i can reduce network packet jiiter and make routing better via VPN on router

No, it will slow down your connection significantly and introduce more latency.

Doesn't matter what you use. Public VPN won't help you in latency reduction.

You can get one current model RT-AX86U Pro router, but Cake QoS is unlikely to improve what you already have. It's also NAT acceleration incompatible and will cut your WAN-LAN throughput down to about 350-400Mbps. Get it from a place with return options and try.

You can get one current model RT-AX86U Pro router, but Cake QoS is unlikely to improve what you already have. It's also NAT acceleration incompatible and will cut your WAN-LAN throughput down to about 350-400Mbps. Get it from a place with return options and try.
@Tech9

How would the GT-AX6000 compare to the AX86U Pro? I heard good things about thus router as well.

Both routers are on the same hardware platform. GT-AX6000 has different 4x4 2.4GHz radio (3x3 on RT-AX86U Pro), additional 2.5GbE controller for second 2.5GbE port and RGB ROG logo game marketing. It's also much larger device perhaps game marketing related. GT-AX6000 runs ROG theme red GUI, RT-AX86U Pro has standard blue Asuswrt GUI. The newer RT-AX88U Pro is basically non-ROG GT-AX6000 version. This model is getting popular lately.