What's new

Question about Coax cable / MoCA

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

phositadc

New Around Here
I'm trying to terminate some coax cable, and according to my coax tester, I'm not getting a signal. A couple of questions:

1) When I'm attaching the F connector, do I need to peel back both the metal braiding and the metal foil? Or just the braiding?

2) Once I've peeled back the foil and/or braiding, do I need to trim it off? Or do I just leave it smushed against the black outer (exterior) layer of the coax cable?

I'm using this kit: http://www.kleintools.com/catalog/v...its/coax-push-connector-installation-test-kit. By appearances, I've installed the F connector properly, and it looks nice and professional, but like I said, when I use the tester, I'm not getting a signal, so apparently I'm doing something wrong. Any tips appreciated!

Edit: One other question. Parts of the coax cable run right next to some power cables for about 10 feet. Could that be killing the signal and causing my coax tester to show no signal? Or would at most that cause some interference?

Last edited:
Use a multimeter and confirm that you actually have continuity. Then test for a short.

When terminating coax you try and fold as much of the braid as possible back over the jacket then push the fitting over the braid and jacket.

The stinger should protrude approximately 1/8" beyond the fitting. The inter core should be flush with the bottom of the inside of the fitting.

If no problem with these tests start looking for any hidden splitters that might not be up to standard.

I'm trying to terminate some coax cable, and according to my coax tester, I'm not getting a signal. A couple of questions:

1) When I'm attaching the F connector, do I need to peel back both the metal braiding and the metal foil? Or just the braiding? Just the Braid but not a single strand of the braid or foil can touch the stinger.
2) Once I've peeled back the foil and/or braiding, do I need to trim it off? Or do I just leave it smushed against the black outer (exterior) layer of the coax cable? Do not trim it.

I'm using this kit: http://www.kleintools.com/catalog/v...its/coax-push-connector-installation-test-kit. By appearances, I've installed the F connector properly, and it looks nice and professional, but like I said, when I use the tester, I'm not getting a signal, so apparently I'm doing something wrong. Any tips appreciated! The braid and foil is required, follow the cable prep instructions, don't crush the cable, don't pull the cable tight around a 90 deg corner

Edit: One other question. Parts of the coax cable run right next to some power cables for about 10 feet. Could that be killing the signal and causing my coax tester to show no signal? Or would at most that cause some interference? Connector not pushed all the way on the cable, cable crushed or kinked, braid or foil touching the center conductor (stinger)

Comments above:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!