What's new

Question about DNS Filter?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Vexira

Part of the Furniture
I was wondering if I was to enable forward local queries to upstream DNS servers does that enable it for both global DNS and router DNS?

And how would I enable it only for devices that use the global set DNS filter only?

So what settings are your Global DNS and Router DNS set to?

And you’re not running Skynet or any other piece of software that might alter the outcome?

Out of interest, why do you want to do this; I’m wondering if there might be alternative ways?

I'm not sure what you mean by "global DNS and router DNS" as they are two different things. But the option to forward local queries is just something that can be turned on or off in dnsmasq. Therefore it's only meaningful for queries sent to the router's own DNS server.

I'm not sure what you mean by "global DNS and router DNS" as they are two different things. But the option to forward local queries is just something that can be turned on or off in dnsmasq. Therefore it's only meaningful for queries sent to the router's own DNS server.
I force most of my devices to use my pi hole as a DNS server, short of setting it as the DNS used by the router, I was wondering if that option also affected the DNS filter under LAN the one Merlin implemented, it has a global option to force devices to use a specific DNS server, I was wondering if the option to forward queries to upstream DNS affected it also.

No. That option is not associated with DNSFilter and will have no effect on queries sent directly to the Pi-Hole.

Ahh thanks that's what I wanted to know, so it only affects the DNS server set under Wan?

:confused: No. As I said, it only effects queries being handled by the DNS server running on the router (dnsmasq). It's a dnsmasq setting.

Gotcha thanks again now I understand.