What's new

Question about DNS server...

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Everything else will go to your WAN DNS servers. To be certain, you can post screenshots of your WAN DNS settings and LAN DHCP Server page.

What DNS Server 2 are you referring to? LAN or WAN?

Everything else will go to your WAN DNS servers. To be certain, you can post screenshots of your WAN DNS settings and LAN DHCP Server page.

What DNS Server 2 are you referring to? LAN or WAN?
The one under LAN -> DHCP server.

You generally don’t want anything besides the router under LAN DHCP servers, so that your clients will use dnsmasq. If you enable DNSFilter in Router mode, it will force all traffic to LAN DHCP server 1, ignoring server 2.
so in reality he would want to place the local ip of his domain to his Nextcloud installation in the lan dns server 2 and set his dns filter to router mode so his Lan traffic is handled by DNS 1 which would be routers IP?

so in reality he would want to place the local ip of his domain to his Nextcloud installation in the lan dns server 2 and set his dns filter to router mode so his Lan traffic is handled by DNS 1 which would be routers IP?
I’m unclear of his setup, but if he’s modified dnsmasq.conf he doesn’t really need anything in LAN DHCP DNS servers. But I’m not familiar with Nextcloud or what he’s rerouting. I found the Wiki article slightly misguided around LAN DHCP settings, so more info from @sn2018 would be good.

Nextcloud needs 3 ports, port 80 & 443 for data sync and 4443 for admin. I setup a DDNS so I can do data sync remotely. For admin, I don't really need/want remote access. Before dnsmasq, I just type 192.168.1.xx:4443 to access the admin panel locally but I get "site not secure" warning and I have to ignore it to continue. With dnsmasq, I type nc.dummy.net:4443 to access admin panel and there is no warning because I have letsenscript setup for nc.dummy.net.

Nextcloud needs 3 ports, port 80 & 443 for data sync and 4443 for admin. I setup a DDNS so I can do data sync remotely. For admin, I don't really need/want remote access. Before dnsmasq, I just type 192.168.1.xx:4443 to access the admin panel locally but I get "site not secure" warning and I have to ignore it to continue. With dnsmasq, I type nc.dummy.net:4443 to access admin panel and there is no warning because I have letsenscript setup for nc.dummy.net.
So what did you customize in dnsmasq.conf.add?