What's new

Question about getting a VPN to work while using the new DOT feature

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

snoopeloop568

Occasional Visitor
I went to add a new openvpn client but it seems I can't connect while (Connect to DNS server automatically) under WAN DNS settings, is set to no.

Does DOT still work when (Connect to DNS server automatically) set to YES? or does that need to be set to no?

Do my non VPN tunneled clients automatically use my ISP's DNS instead of the DOT if it's checked to yes is what I'm asking.

Does DOT still work when (Connect to DNS server automatically) set to YES? or does that need to be set to no?

DNS Privacy is unrelated to the WAN DNS servers. You should keep these set to automatic, as your router will need to be able to reach a working DNS server before DNS Privacy can start working (for instance, DNS Privacy must wait until the clock has been set before it can fully work, as TLS requires an accurate clock).

Do my non VPN tunneled clients automatically use my ISP's DNS instead of the DOT if it's checked to yes is what I'm asking.

VPN Clients have their own DNS parameter, check on your OpenVPN Client settings.

DNS Privacy is unrelated to the WAN DNS servers. You should keep these set to automatic, as your router will need to be able to reach a working DNS server before DNS Privacy can start working (for instance, DNS Privacy must wait until the clock has been set before it can fully work, as TLS requires an accurate clock).

VPN Clients have their own DNS parameter, check on your OpenVPN Client settings.

That's good to know thanks, I wasn't sure about how that worked.