What's new

Question about VPN Director.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Nick_J

Occasional Visitor
I'm in a situation that I occasionally have to add/edit the VPN director rules while my brother and sister are using the internet.
Does pressing the "Apply" button in the VPN Director page temporally cut/drop their connections off?

Thank you.

AFAIK, no. The VPN Director only changes the rules database, which governs how routes are directed within the current condition/state of the VPNs. There's no need to start and stop the VPNs just for those purposes. It's one of the many advantages of having centralized routing policy rather than the old way were each OpenVPN client was handled independently.

Easy enough to verify for yourself. Check the syslog and see if it causes a restart on the OpenVPN client. It should pretty obvious if it does.

P.S. I should add one other caution. You really shouldn't be messing w/ the routing tables once established. At least it's best to avoid it. It's not that the VPNs will drop or restart. But if your rules change to the extent they shift existing, long running, transactions by clients to different servers, then of course that can cause problems in and of itself. The client will *stall* (for lack of a better term) until it realizes it has to reestablish its current connection(s), this time to a different server.

Whether any of this is worth worrying about just depends on the nature of the changes you're making to the routing database via the VPN Director.

P.S. I should add one other caution. You really shouldn't be messing w/ the routing tables once established. At least it's best to avoid it. It's not that the VPNs will drop or restart. But if your rules change to the extent they shift existing, long running, transactions by clients to different servers, then of course that can cause problems in and of itself. The client will *stall* (for lack of a better term) until it realizes it has to reestablish its current connection(s), this time to a different server.

Whether any of this is worth worrying about just depends on the nature of the changes you're making to the routing database via the VPN Director.
These what I did

1) disconnected VPN before making changes.
2) rebooted my certain device (AppleTV)

vpn seems to work well since last night.

Thank you.