What's new

[Question] I configured my Router to be fully DNS encrypted, but the modem is the gateway, so, what now?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

fearz

I was wondering.... If I encrypt everything on my router, which at the end has the modem as the gateway which has no encryption configured....are all the communication done from the devices connected to the router, can still be seen by my ISP?

If you have IPv4 only enabled, your ISP won't see your devices even with unencrypted DNS. If you are asking about browsing history collection, your ISP can do it quite accurately even with encrypted DNS. You have to use VPN tunnel to encrypt the entire traffic in order to hide the traffic contents from your ISP. In this case you just transfer your browsing history from one company to another and have to deal with all the complications and inconveniences for you. Plus more monthly expenses on top for questionable benefits.

Last edited:
If you have IPv4 only enabled, your ISP won't see your devices even with unencrypted DNS. If you are asking about browsing history collection, your ISP can do it quite accurately even with encrypted DNS.
Can you please explain more? So whats the use of encrypting our DNS?

It prevents eventual man in the middle actions like you request Google and your queries are redirected to Bing by someone intercepting your DNS traffic. It also makes browsing history collection more difficult, but not impossible. Your ISP knows exactly what IP addresses you connect to and can recreate your browsing habits based on your connections alone. You have to know DoT is going to result in less DNS servers available and perhaps slower DNS resolution. DNS traffic is very small, but DNS server on the other side has to do decryption. Some overloaded servers may reply slower, like Quad9 in my area.

Can you please explain more? So whats the use of encrypting our DNS?
The isp can see the SNI (server name indicator) a part not encrypted, if they look at it that is..
But it only gives them clues on what site you connect to(over time they get more accurate at guessing).
Encrypted dns makes it harder for other to collect the traffic (between you and the destination) and it adds more security that your dns lookups is not tampered with.
There is options to encrypt the SNI but it is at a very early stage and very few support it.
I am more for adding confusion with the use of random encrypted dns servers and features that makes it harder to fingerprint devices.

If I encrypt everything on my router, which at the end has the modem as the gateway which has no encryption configured...

I have no idea what that actually means. It's far too vague. Encrypted how? Are you somehow running a VPN between the client and the router?? That would be rather odd, but that's what it sounds like.