What's new

Question iperf and IxChariot

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

cmx

New Around Here
Questions about iperf and IxChariot

Hello everybody,

nice to be a part of the community.

I've some questions about the iperf and IxChariot performance tests which we can see always on the reviews.

I have a cable modem and a wrt54gl wireless router. I'd like to make some tests on my own.
Well iperf is an open source project, I downloaded.

My computer is connected to the router on LAN1 and my Laptop on LAN2 as example.
Then I just start iperf?

Do I need two computers or it's enough with one computer and a router.
Do I need at least 2 computers to do some tests with IxChariot?

And could please explain me LAN - LAN, WAN - LAN, LAN - WAN which we also at the reviews.

Hope I didn't ask to much for my first thread.

Last edited:
You run iperf and jperf on each machine that you want to check bandwidth between. One is set to server, the other to client. See these articles:
Measuring Network Performance - Iperf
Measuring Network Performance - Jperf

You can also use a simpler program, Netmeter
Measuring Network Performance - NetMeter

IxChariot can be downloaded for evaluation purposes. But it is very expensive to purchase. You might try a simpler, free alternative, Qcheck.

LAN - LAN denotes tests between clients on a router's switch.

LAN - WAN denotes traffic from a client on a router switch to the Internet

WAN - LAN is the opposite of LAN - WAN

thiggin, thans for your reply.

But I can't understand one thing.

If I want to test bandwidth between 2 computers which are connected to my router with LAN then I have to start on each computer iperf.

Computer A: Server
Computer B: Client

There is no problem,

but how can I test LAN - WAN or WAN - LAN if there is only 1 computer? Don't I need a second one to start the iperf client thing?

My ip on the network is 192.168.1.100.

I have connected a modem on my WAN port from router.
If I want to do WAN - LAN performance test, do I have to give my router's address? (e.g 192.168.1.1)

For iperf to work, you need two machines running it. So you'd have to put one client on the WAN side of the router. Easiest way is to set it to a static IP in your LAN's range and plug it and the iperf/jperf client into a switch. No Internet connection necessary. See this for more details: How We Test Hardware Routers