What's new

Question of hardware performance

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

spartan77777

Occasional Visitor
I am using merlin 30_2 on an RT-N66U and getting about 13Mb/sec over my 15Mb/sec connection with OpenVPN.
Due to some missing features I wanted to try Tomato and loaded tomato 1.28.0005 109 ND VPN on an old WRT54GSV2 and tested the OpenVPN and to my complete surprise the performance really sucked beyond belief. I was only getting 2.5 to 3Mb/sec with openVPN. That is a crazy drop.
So, question is how much of this can be associated with hardware and how much of it tomato is not performance as well as merlin. I may be comparing here a sports car to Nissan leaf but I am curious...

Would love to hear your experience.

Last edited:
Due to some missing features I wanted to try Tomato and loaded tomato 1.28.0005 109 ND VPN on an old WRT54GSV2 and tested the OpenVPN and to my complete surprise the performance really sucked beyond belief. I was only getting 2.5 to 3Gb/sec with openVPN. That is a crazy drop.
Hi,

First of all you have funny typo above: Having a throughput of 3.5 to 3 Gb/sec would be really great! :)

Looking into the specs of the good old WRT54GSV2, makes clear why the throughput of the VPN drops:
The router has a Broadcom BCM5350 CPU @ only 200 MHz and is a much older generation of CPU...

Whereas the Asus RT-N66U has a Broadcom 4706 CPU @ 600MHz plus a newer (faster!) version of the CPU!

VPN en-/decrypt performance is CPU bound! :rolleyes:

With kind regards
Joe :cool:

Last edited:
Hi Joe,

thanks for the reply and the correction. Yeah, 3Gbit out of WRT54 would be quite impressive...

I understand your point that there is signification speed difference between the two, 3 times to be specific but the difference is beyond that obviously.
I am seeing 13Mbit vs 3Mbit, not like 9Mbit vs 3Mbit.
I was questioning specifically, elements of the difference:
- Tomato vs wrt-Merlin performance.
- Age of the wireless drivers on the ancient WRT
- and naturally the CPU speed.

I am after the experiences of running OpenVPN on Merlin vs Tomato really...

I would like to figure out what kind of performance gain/loss I would experience if I switch from Merlin to Tomato on the same hardware.

Last edited:

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!