What's new

question on Adaptive QOS with inconsistent Comcast

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

akb

Hello all,

I was hoping I can get someone's opinion on settings I should put for my lame gigabit Comcast, more like something bit.

So I technically have the 1000/35 plan with Comcast. I have the latest merlin on an ac88u.
I get throughout the day without any QOS speeds as low as 300/5 and speeds up to 750/60.

What should I put my QOS up/down in the settings as the 90% of speedtests doesn't really have a true value?

Should it be 90% of 1000/35, 750/60, or 300/5 (the absolute minimal performance that is guaranteed)

Any other setting I should keep an eye on? I have HW acceleration already.

Thanks!

The good news is that with speeds as high as even your lowest, you don't need QoS.

You just need a more consistent ISP. :)

The good news is that with speeds as high as even your lowest, you don't need QoS.

You just need a more consistent ISP. :)
The problem is I do because the second upload is too high my download is murdered across the network...

@akb, of course.

Have you tested QoS by simply putting the download at 1000Mbps and the upload at 30 to 50Mbps and tested for a couple of days?

The thing here is that this isn't a scientific problem to be solved by math. It is something to be tested and settle on whatever the best results are, even if those results are far below what the ISP promised speeds are. To me, consistency is king!

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/r...and-inner-workings.36836/page-163#post-492245

The thread above may help explain this idea better?

I hope when things get 'back to normal' these huge variances will disappear for you. If they don't, I hope you have a choice for another ISP that offers a more consistent connection.

HTH.

@akb, of course.

Have you tested QoS by simply putting the download at 1000Mbps and the upload at 30 to 50Mbps and tested for a couple of days?

The thing here is that this isn't a scientific problem to be solved by math. It is something to be tested and settle on whatever the best results are, even if those results are far below what the ISP promised speeds are. To me, consistency is king!

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/r...and-inner-workings.36836/page-163#post-492245

The thread above may help explain this idea better?

I hope when things get 'back to normal' these huge variances will disappear for you. If they don't, I hope you have a choice for another ISP that offers a more consistent connection.

HTH.

SO when I put 1000/35, it works ok half the time, but when the upload tanks to 5 throughout the day, the download suffers. When I keep it at 300/5, the network is stable but I lose out on getting my download and uploads to the speeds I pay.
I wish the spdmerlin would calculate speeds higher than 300Mb/s but the cpu is too limiting, otherwise, the other plugin on this site that adjusts the QOS values would have been promising.

Right now, I put 1000/10, which keeps the network stable but my uploads are limited. I do not typically hit 1000 download so it never saturates the network.

Then the solution seems straightforward. Contact your ISP and switch to a plan they can fully provide to you.

Did you read the link I posted? Try thinking outside of the box if you don't want to change your paid for speeds. :)

This is going to be a tricky one with no good answer regarding the speeds... You would need to set to 95% of the lowest stable speed but then you loose out most of the time...

Another thing to look at: What queue discipline are you using?
fq_codel would probably be best even if the upload speeds go slower than what you have set....
If you are using anything else give it a try - may not be perfect but more manageable...

I am on comcast as well and for me the biggest problem was bufferbloat and breakup in downstream video chat/VoIP when I saturated the download. The comcast modem was doing pretty well on upload queuing without QoS....

Long term (probably not possible now given that reaching comcast takes forever) keep pestering Comcast - the more open tickets they have the more likely they will upgrade/split your Node to help with congestion...
It may also not be congestion: A couple of month ago I had upstream noise that basically knocked 1-2 upstream channels out of service (but they would not show any errors on the customer side) and reduced my upstream to 5-7 mbit/s instead of the 18 I normally get... I have Comcast Small Business so it was a bit easier to get some who took my problem serious and they actually could see the issue. 1-2 days later there was a lot of trucks out here looking at the mainline and all the amplifiers between my house and the node (over 1 miles with 7 or so amps and lots of splits/taps) and the problem was gone once they finished....

SO when I put 1000/35, it works ok half the time, but when the upload tanks to 5 throughout the day, the download suffers. When I keep it at 300/5, the network is stable but I lose out on getting my download and uploads to the speeds I pay.
I wish the spdmerlin would calculate speeds higher than 300Mb/s but the cpu is too limiting, otherwise, the other plugin on this site that adjusts the QOS values would have been promising.

Right now, I put 1000/10, which keeps the network stable but my uploads are limited. I do not typically hit 1000 download so it never saturates the network.

What DNS provider are you using?