What's new

Question on browsing in to a remote router.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

SandmanXX

Regular Contributor
If someone could point me in the right direction, articles, etc, that'd be great.

I will have a router in-hand in a couple days, and am setting it up for my dad. I can flash firmware, etc.
What I don't know is how to set it up so I can log in from remote (another state) to do any maintenance, troubleshooting, etc. on the router's UI home page. I will be putting another username and strong password on the router once I get it set up for his home use.
Someone in another thread mentioned setting up a vpn on the router to get into the router.
I do not use a vpn at home and neither will he.
Any guidance on this?

Thanks!

It would probably also be worth installing something like Team Viewer on your PCs. Provided his PC is operational and can connect to the internet it's a lot more flexible that just logging into the router via a VPN.

It would probably also be worth installing something like Team Viewer on your PCs. Provided his PC is operational and can connect to the internet it's a lot more flexible that just logging into the router via a VPN.
I want to stay away from teamviewer, although I am familiar with it and have used it. I prefer going straight into the router, as dad only has a laptop, and only uses that for emails.
The other day we had a conversation, where it took 30+ minutes to get him to the point I could get him to start a windows update on the laptop. :) Another 15+ minutes to tell him how to add a webpage to his bookmarks, and then how to find said bookmarks on the laptop.
Super -not- into technology :)

The other day we had a conversation, where it took 30+ minutes to get him to the point I could get him to start a windows update on the laptop. :) Another 15+ minutes to tell him how to add a webpage to his bookmarks, and then how to find said bookmarks on the laptop.
For this very reason, a remote desktop program may be a better option or an addition that you should consider. Removing into the router only gives you access to the router. Removing into the of gives you access to the entire network including the router.

Opening direct access to the router GUI from the internet is generally frowned upon as a potential security risk and that is why going the VPN route is generally the preferred option. A VPN allows your device to securely join your home network and access the various devices (including your router GUI *without* enabling direct internet access) in a similar way to if it was connected locally.

You, obviously, are the one who makes the ultimate decision though.

For this very reason, a remote desktop program may be a better option or an addition that you should consider. Removing into the router only gives you access to the router. Removing into the of gives you access to the entire network including the router.

Opening direct access to the router GUI from the internet is generally frowned upon as a potential security risk and that is why going the VPN route is generally the preferred option. A VPN allows your device to securely join your home network and access the various devices (including your router GUI *without* enabling direct internet access) in a similar way to if it was connected locally.

You, obviously, are the one who makes the ultimate decision though.
You are right in all of that, thanks. All I need is to remote into the router, as the only other devices are the one laptop, and 3-4 rokus.
That's why I was wondering, based on other thread comments, how to set that up, on the router, so I can get into the router. The laptop is hardly used, maybe every few days

Some routers allow setting up a VPN client on a router using just the GUI. ASUS routers do and there are some other makes and models that do also.

What you do is set up the server on the router then export the certificate created on the router to the remote devices that you wish to be able to log into the router with.

Then the communications between the remote device and the router are encrypted and the certificate is required which is much more secure than just opening the WAN to remote access even with a strong password.

ON an ASUS router particularly if you have flashed to Merlin's enhanced version is simple and takes just seconds to setup. Once it is running on the router it would be basically invisible to your father and nothing would be required from him but to be sure the router is powered up and is connected to the Internet.

This VPN is not like a commercial VPN client which requires a monthly fee.

Ok, I follow that. I will be getting the new router tomorrow, and start playing with it. I've never set up a vpn server, much less used one before, so it'll be another learning adventure.
Thanks.

Remember when you set up the server you can't test it when connected to the LAN the router is on.

Easiest way is to test is by using a smart phone with the WiFi turned off.

Remember when you set up the server you can't test it when connected to the LAN the router is on.

Easiest way is to test is by using a smart phone with the WiFi turned off.

Great point, thanks. I could see myself not doing that, then trying to figure out why I couldn't get in. Thanks, cap.