What's new

Question on router ranges...

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

SandmanXX

Regular Contributor
Based on the RT-AX55, are there any sub-200.00 routers that have better ranges, in the AX class? I have to set up a network for my dad, who is long distance, so I can't be there. He currently has a spectrum wireless modem, not sure of the model.
I plan on getting him one router, setting it up myself, then mailing it to him. I'm getting him off of cable tv, and onto streaming. I don't know how I could network in remotely to set him up otherwise. All he has is a laptop for any home computing.
There will be a new cable modem, and 2 roku boxes comprising his network. Around a 3000 sq. house, 2 story, small footprint house, but quite a few walls. The router will be next to the modem, and pretty centrally located in the house. He mainly needs the wifi for calling, and the roku boxes. Wiring is out of the question, hence my question about ranges, at least people's opinions and or range tests.
Also, any suggestions on how to remotely adminster any setup functions, my first thought for this was teamviewer.
Thanks!

I would go for the AX58U ($180) over the AX55 because of the Merlin support. The upcoming AX68U ($199) looks very promising however you may have to wait on availability and it’s not currently supported by Merlin.

Your plan of setting it up and then shipping it is sound. For remote management, you could set up a VPN server instance on the router. This would allow you to connect and sign into the router to manage settings, apply updates etc and no need for a remote PC to run teamviewer.

Hello,
I have experience in the last 4 weeks with AX55, AX58U, AX58U with AiMesh, and AX86U.
What I would say about the ranges:
AX55 < AX58U < AX86U. With both of the frequencies: 5GHz and 2.4GHz.
If the AX86U is 100%, then AX58U is 90%, and AX55 is 85%.

Last edited:
Hello,
I have experience in the last 4 weeks with AX55, AX58U, AX58U with AiMesh, and AX86U.
What I would say about the ranges:
AX55 < AX58U < AX86U. With both of the frequencies: 5GHz and 2.4GHz.
If the AX86U is 100%, then AX58U is 90%, and AX55 is 85%.

Thanks for all that. Gives me items to think about.
Is it true that the ax3000 is actually the ax58u?

Yes, it is.

Ah, ok, thanks again. One more hopefuly easy question... More towards the firmware...
Can the release firmware on the forums here be updated to the asus official release firware, via the update button on the router? Or are they 2 independent packages?
Thanks!

All I know is I just got my AX86U, and it is a monster at long range consistency. Seriously impressed, it's like a magnet for dialed in connections at distance. I was at the other end of the house and in the garage, and was still pulling solid strength numbers, latency, speed.

All I know is I just got my AX86U, and it is a monster at long range consistency. Seriously impressed, it's like a magnet for dialed in connections at distance. I was at the other end of the house and in the garage, and was still pulling solid strength numbers, latency, speed.
I experienced this too.
In my house I tried the AiMesh with 2 AX58Us, but they were "too much". If I only use one router, the devices they know 5GHz are often on 2.4GHz, because of the distance between the walls. But if I use 2 routers as AiMesh, I can't monitor the Node (bandwidth, CPU, RAM), and the devices are often not switching to the one that is physically near to the devices. I decided to use only one stronger router than AX58U. The AX86U is definitely stronger. But I read, that the AX88U is more better in range than AX86U. I don't know yet, should I switch to AX88U or not...

Ah, ok, thanks again. One more hopefuly easy question... More towards the firmware...
Can the release firmware on the forums here be updated to the asus official release firware, via the update button on the router? Or are they 2 independent packages?
Thanks!

If I'm understanding your query correctly, the RMerlin firmware and the stock Asus firmware can be flashed as needed. However, after flashing from one to the other, a full reset to factory defaults is recommended and then followed by a proper M&M Config (see the link in my signature below for that and other guides).

Can the release firmware on the forums here be updated to the asus official release firmware, via the update button on the router? Or are they 2 independent packages?
Thanks!
If you are running the Asus firmware, it can be updated via the update button. (Some recommend against this but I have not had a problem doing it this way on my 66U_B1.) If you are using Merlin, you need to download the zip file, extract the firmware file and flash it manually. I assume if you are setting up the router and shipping it to your father, that this process may be beyond his capabilities. Without meaning to undermine the great contribution Merlin has made to the Asus platforms, I would say for the non-technical person, there's no reason not to use the stock firmware. After 2 1/2 years with an Asus router, I only recently flashed Merlin and I'm really not taking advantage of its features. Operationally, I can't see any difference between the two for my simple home network (two PCs, smartphones, tablets, Roku, etc.)

I think I was a little muddy with that last question. I currently do not run merlin.
I was talking about the RC betas releases from the ASUSWRT official thread... if I am running an RC candidate, will I be able to update to the -official- release (from the asus site) after running any RC candidate, using the proper way... ie: the upgrade radio button in the ASUS firmware upgrade tab on the router?
Or, will I have to always flash whenever I were to upgrade from the RC to the official release?
Here's what I'm thinking: I plan to flash a new router to current 41700. When the router gets to my dad's house, and some time has passed, will it be an easy upgrade to click the radio button to just upgrade to the official release. I guess I could be asking can an RC here be upgraded to an asus-released firmware without flashing?
Sorry about the muddiness, I have GOT to quit enjoying (at least asking questions) the forum when I -first- wake up :)
Thanks, folks.

Here's what I'm thinking: I plan to flash a new router to current 41700. When the router gets to my dad's house, and some time has passed, will it be an easy upgrade to click the radio button to just upgrade to the official release. I guess I could be asking can an RC here be upgraded to an asus-released firmware without flashing?
Are you saying you want to flash beta firmware on the router you're setting up for your father? That seems a little risky to me. Good luck with that!

I am currently running 40987 I think, and that's been pretty stable here at home, with all three routers. I would be willing to use this version for him, but was wondering about jumping to the asus official release while I'm on as remote. If that path to upgrade is not available, I would just run the regular release, and probably never need to upgrade him after that.
Edit: 386_40947.

Last edited:
Wait until the RMerlin 386.x final is ready then. None of your options above sound tempting.

I don't believe it will be too much longer for a stable, 386.1 release.

Does it matter if I'm not running merlin? I was under the impression that the asuswrt and
merlinn were 2 separate firmwares? Do I have that wrong?

Ok, I'm intrigued by a lot of the merlin features. I'm afraid I am lost in the area of the 3rd party addons, where he talks about Ent and the other, and uninstalling the download manager, etc, so I would not go near there.
The screenshots on the page, are those without using any of those addons?
Thanks for the reads, L&LD.

Yes, the screen snips are pure RMerlin.

Have a look at my signature below for the M&M Config and also the other guides and notes available.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!