What's new

Question on speed

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Marshall

Occasional Visitor
We have a small design studio setup in our house.
Our setup is two Apple iMacs upstairs in our studio, and one Apple airport extreme (with the new Simultaneous dual-band support) downstairs with our Maxtor Shared storage 2, modem, one wide format printer and two photocopiers plugged into it.
My question is when we are using the adobe bridge or finder in Leopard, viewing small icon thumbnails of images or illustration files is quite slow through the maxtor shared storage. Is this maxtor running slow or is this the wireless connection from the Apple airport?
I am think of swapping the maxtor for a mac mini, and running the new snow leopard when it comes out, with the apple airport. Do you think this will make any difference?
We use to run a IBM server with SMS before the maxtor which was great but to expensive to maintain.

Thanks
Marshall

Easy way to find out whether the wireless connection is limiting you (and I suspect that it is) is to plug an iMac directly into the Airport Extreme.

Thanks Tim,

I fixed the problem. I connected the Maxtor shared storage onto the network using ethernet and a switch. The airport I left downstairs plugged into the printers and adsl2 modem.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!