What's new

Question re: router that doesn't require compromising security

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

fstein

New Around Here
I have multiple routers in my house. The most recent (and smallest) was a Linksys combo, added to give more functionality for something we needed and for some mobile devices. I had to reset the Linksys router. . I was trying to set it up again but now am required to have it on the internet so I can use the linksys smart setup. Even though I'm going through the router, when I try to log in Linksys says it can't see my router. I'm done with them. Not only do I need to use their interface, but the fact that I must use their setup on the web means everything is shared with them, including passwords, etc.. GIven how many scammers there are in the world I'd prefer to not have to share my info with anyone.
I'm looking for a combo router, wired and wifi, that >>> I CONTROL<<< not some company who changes software and makes it so we must do setup through their website.
Thanks in advance.

I have multiple routers in my house. The most recent (and smallest) was a Linksys combo, added to give more functionality for something we needed and for some mobile devices. I had to reset the Linksys router. . I was trying to set it up again but now am required to have it on the internet so I can use the linksys smart setup. Even though I'm going through the router, when I try to log in Linksys says it can't see my router. I'm done with them. Not only do I need to use their interface, but the fact that I must use their setup on the web means everything is shared with them, including passwords, etc.. GIven how many scammers there are in the world I'd prefer to not have to share my info with anyone.
I'm looking for a combo router, wired and wifi, that >>> I CONTROL<<< not some company who changes software and makes it so we must do setup through their website.
Thanks in advance.
Asus works well for many of us. They do have an app for Android and iOS but the preferred way to set the router up is to use a web browser. There is also custom firmware for some Asus routers that can provide more functions if you need them. The most recommended Asus routers are the GT- AX6000, the RT-AX88U Pro and the RT-AX86U Pro.

Asus works well for many of us. They do have an app for Android and iOS but the preferred way to set the router up is to use a web browser. There is also custom firmware for some Asus routers that can provide more functions if you need them. The most recommended Asus routers are the GT- AX6000, the RT-AX88U Pro and the RT-AX86U Pro.
Thanks for the response. So just to confirm, I can set the Asus routers up w/o a connection to the manufacturer? Thanks again!

So just to confirm, I can set the Asus routers up w/o a connection to the manufacturer?

Yes you can, but with some functionality limitations.

Some firmware features require Trend Micro data sharing agreement:
AiProtection, Traffic analyzer, Apps analyzer, Adaptive QoS, Game Boost, Web history

Other firmware features require Asus data sharing agreement:
Asus DDNS, Remote Connection used in Asus Router App, Lyra App, AiCloud, AiDisk

If you want no 3rd party data sharing you have to keep all of the above disabled.

The most recent (and smallest) was a Linksys combo, added to give more functionality for something we needed and for some mobile devices. I had to reset the Linksys router. . I was trying to set it up again but now am required to have it on the internet so I can use the linksys smart setup. Even though I'm going through the router, when I try to log in Linksys says it can't see my router. I'm done with them. Not only do I need to use their interface, but the fact that I must use their setup on the web means everything is shared with them, including passwords, etc..

FWIW - Linksys SmartWiFi has had it's share of security issues when accessing things thru their WAN login...