What's new

Question regarding Gaming port on Asus Routers

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I was more curious about why cable users seem to see more spikes and dips in speed tests over fiber, or other connection types. I don't think it's just me though, I think, it has to do with how cable networks operate.
It depends on the technologies you're comparing as well as the local situation. But generally speaking cable connections use a shared connection to a nearby hub. As such you can get bandwidth contention if everyone in the area is making heavy use of the internet (torrents, major sporting event, etc.). This can also happen if the cable company has sold more cable connections than the local hub adequately supply (i.e. oversubscription). Compare that to an old style ADSL line where the copper cable ran from your phone socket directly to the local telephone exchange, which could be miles away.

It depends on the technologies you're comparing as well as the local situation. But generally speaking cable connections use a shared connection to a nearby hub. As such you can get bandwidth contention if everyone in the area is making heavy use of the internet (torrents, major sporting event, etc.). This can also happen if the cable company has sold more cable connections than the local hub adequately supply (i.e. oversubscription). Compare that to an old style ADSL line where the copper cable ran from your phone socket directly to the local telephone exchange, which could be miles away.
Thankfully all the problems I've encountered over the years haven't been major, or at least easy to fix.

Hi, does anyone know if that first port has priority already enabled by default or the QoS has to be enabled in the first place?

Hi, does anyone know if that first port has priority already enabled by default or the QoS has to be enabled in the first place?
I've been using Port 1 again, and it seems to function normally. I did however disable all the gaming functions such as UPNP and the GFORCE NOW prioritization functions. I don't have need for those right now. Port 1 seems to function as the others, and I have an 8 port switch connected to port 1 which manages all my other devices.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!