What's new

Question regarding the VPN Server function

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

C

Chris_J

I have not yet used the VPN server built into the firmware, as I'm currently experimenting with another project that enables me to remotely access my network, via Wireguard protocol.

For those that use the inbuilt VPN server, does this work simultaneously with a VPN client running also?

If so, when connecting to your network from outside, is your traffic routed through that VPN client or does it go straight to WAN?

Thanks

Yes you can have the server and client running at the same time (there are many existing threads about this).

Your connection to the VPN server would be through the router's WAN address.

Thank-you for the clarification.

I'm wondering whether it is possible, when connected to the VPN server from outside, to have my traffic route through an active VPN Client? So basically, my IP address would appear as if I was on my home network routed through VPN Client 1.

@Martineau, thanks for this. I finally got around to doing this, several weeks later! I now have both VPN servers running, allowing me to connect through 2 different VPN clients, which is quite handy.

One question that I have, which I can't see that anyone has asked before in this regard, is how do I force clients to use a specific DNS server? I see that the router uses the DNS setting used on the WAN configuration page, but I would like clients to use a server internal to my network. I don't think that it would be a good idea to add a private ip address in the WAN settings, simply for reliability.

I've added the obvious to the ovpn config file:

Code:
dhcp-option DNS 192.168.1.3

However, depending on client connecting, this isn't always successful and the router WAN DNS addresses takes over. Is there a better way to enforce DNS setting?