What's new

Questions about new network setup.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

soehest

Occasional Visitor
Hi.

I am looking to redo my network setup. Had my share of wireless routers (wndr3700, asus rt-n66u, and latest RT-AC87U) I have today returned the RT-AC87U as it did not help me with range and has a lot of features i will never use. My new idea is to separate the network into a routing solution and a wireless solution. Reasoning is that with a router like above I am paying for all sorts of thing I have no need for (ie. media server capabilities, cloud services etc)
I have been looking at the edgerouter-lite which will be connected to my current switch: Dlink DGS-1210-16

My wired network consists of:
2 Apple tv's
2 Xbox 360.
4 Tv's.
2 Computers.
2 media players.
1 reciever.
1 or 2 Wireless Access points.

Internet connection: 120/20

Questions:
1. This is probably basic knowledge. But will traffic on the lan only pass the switch? Meaning that local traffic will not stress the router in any way?
2. Is the setup a good combo? Or am i over thinking this?
3. If 2 is positive, will this setup work as equally good as a expensive home router from Asus which is connected to the switch anyway.

Best Regards
Soehest

1) All traffic on the switch will stay on the switch unless it specifically needs to go to the router (like to get to the internet).
2) I think the setup you propose is a good one. I have a very similar one at my house and I use the Edgerouter Lite also.
3) This setup will work as well or better than the Asus setup. The all in one like the Asus is more convenient and less expensive but with separates you can put the WAP's where needed and you can upgrade a piece at a time instead of having to upgrade your Router/WAP all at once.

Echoing abailey's advice, I think you've definitely got the right idea here. If you're looking at an ERL, I'm assuming you've got at least intermediate networking knowledge and/or the willingness to learn a bit of the CLI to reach certain settings. That said, EdgeOS 1.6 (in beta now) will supposedly offer ability to drill-down to all settings straight from the GUI in a tree-like layout, which will be very nice for more novice users and/or for making quick config changes.

My network is setup with a Ubi ERL and an ASUS RT-AC66U connected in access point mode. I really like Ubiquiti. I've had my ERL for a while now and I haven't had any problems with it at all. There are many examples on the Ubi website which go step by step regarding configuration. Additionally, you could just download a prebuilt config file from Ubi or here. If I remember correctly Tim has two prebuilt downloadable config files here on SNB. I enjoy working with the cli, however the current version firmware 1.5.0., has a wizard which will give you a basic working setup. Even better yet, as of today 10/17, the 1.6.0 firmware is at rc2. So very shortly you will be able to use the new firmware which is supposed to have most if not all of the config available in the gui.

Thanks to all your input. Reading these and the reviews around i have decided to buy myself a Ubiquiti Egderouter lite :) While i am somewhat undecided what to do with the rest of the setup i will start a new thread in the wireless buying advice. Thanks again.

Best Regards

1) All traffic on the switch will stay on the switch unless it specifically needs to go to the router (like to get to the internet).
2) I think the setup you propose is a good one. I have a very similar one at my house and I use the Edgerouter Lite also.
3) This setup will work as well or better than the Asus setup. The all in one like the Asus is more convenient and less expensive but with separates you can put the WAP's where needed and you can upgrade a piece at a time instead of having to upgrade your Router/WAP all at once.

A little off topic, sorry, but I've been thinking of getting an ER lite, mostly for hobby purposes. I'm slowly taking a Udemy course on Vyatta to learn more about the CLI. Do you find yourself in the CLI much and, if so, what do you do there? Thanks.