What's new

Questions about twisting an ethernet cable

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jusjohn55

Regular Contributor
So the ethernet cable does go directly into my router port so I have to twist it like 45 degrees for it to go in. Will this kinda twist damage the wiring/weaken speed? I am not twisting it completely, just a little bit for it to go into the socket.

So the ethernet cable does go directly into my router port so I have to twist it like 45 degrees for it to go in. Will this kinda twist damage the wiring/weaken speed? I am not twisting it completely, just a little bit for it to go into the socket.

No.

OE

@OzarkEdge Wait, my bad, it was not 45 degrees. It goes in at 180 but I have to completely turn it for it to go into the socket cause of the clip. So a full 180 turn

Last edited:
@OzarkEdge Wait, my bad, it was not 45 degrees. It goes in at 180 but I have to completely turn it for it to go into the model cause of the clip. So a full 180 turn

A pair of conductors within the cable jacket are twisted together. This is not undone by twisting the entire cable bundle. We all twist Ethernet cables to plug them in... and curse the OEMs for not orienting all RJ-45 jacks the same way. You can help the connector end by being gentle and encouraging more of the cable length to twist around than just the very plug end. This will put less strain on the individual conductor 'crimps' within the RJ-45 plug.

OE

So, do I have to give it more cable length to twist around or can I just twist it how I did it and it won't lose speed/break?

Pretty hard to say without being able to see it or actually measuring the force involved. Saying "a little but" :)

The answer though is, as already stated, it is unlikely to cause any real issues if you are able to do it by hand. I..e. without using a tool or mechanical advantage. It takes a fair bit of effort to pull a connector off a manufactured patch cable. I know. I had to take a few hundred off. :)

Last edited:
The type of cable will matter. Patch cords that use multi threads are quite flexible and will be fine. Solid wires however may be more problematic if bent at extreme angles.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!