What's new

Questions about USB stick

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

MatteoPV

Hello friends. I am currently using a 4GB USB stick which is several years old. If I wanted to replace it with a new one that is much more performing, which key do you recommend ??? What size ??

Is it possible between the transfer of settings and addons from the old to the new or do you have to start from scratch?

I think you can copy everything over.
But i strongly suggest you connect smallest and cheapest SSD which is more reliable and faster than any USB key you can buy today.
Size depends on your needs. Have you filled up your 4GB one? If you will opt for SSD i hardly doubt you will find smaller than 64-120GB which should cover everything.
I put used Intel 730 series 240GB SSD which i no longer needed in external USB 3.1 case.

For what it is worth, I use a Sandisk Flair 3.0 16GB usb flash drive and it has worked very reliably, albeit it gets a little warm. It has a metal casing and is fairly long, which I imagine is favourable to stubby and mainly plastic because that way it will help dissipate heat better. I think an issue with plugging USB flash drive directly into the router is that heat is transmitted from the router via the metal USB connection. For this reason I imagine purchasing a slightly longer and metal flash drive might be beneficial because it might help avoid overheating.
Or does having a longer, metal flash drive result in more heat being pulled from the router as compared to a stubby plastic drive? This feels like a complicated thermodynamics question! On the one hand, long and metal helps dissipate heat. On the other hand, it presents a route for heat to travel. On balance my gut feeling is that long and metal will be better because it avoids heat concentration where it matters. But I might be wrong.
Perhaps USB flash drives work fine at very high temperatures?

Great answers. On USB I have all the addons (almost all) available on AMTM. It is not full at the moment. But it is old, I would like something more efficient. If I put an SSD, then the mounting etc is the same as the one I have or do I have to do further steps?

I have a 2tb ssd on mine, with a 20gb Ext4 partition for the jffs file (addons), and ntfs for the big partition which has movies and stuff on.

Works like a dream, surprisingly.

I used minitool partition wizard to achieve this, which is free to download and use.

I have a 2tb ssd on mine, with a 20gb Ext4 partition for the jffs file (addons), and ntfs for the big partition which has movies and stuff on.

I used minitool partition wizard to achieve this, which is free to download and use.
Then it's decided, I'll take an SSD

I read somewhere that someone actually runs Plex on their Asus router. That seems a bit wacky since the router is to provide key network functionality.

On the topic of storage, I wonder if anyone has figured out a way to upload documents from the router onto Onedrive for Business? As a workaround I just created softlink to my network share so that my desktop backs up what it sees in the network share. I think I'd like to figure out a way to have documents sent to network share on router get directly uploaded to Onedrive from the router.

I will take an SSD without an external power supply, hopefully it will go well. I will evaluate

I bought an SSD, formatted, created two partitions. Then I decided to do a master reset on the router to start from scratch. Everything works well, very well indeed.
Now I would like to make the most of the metoria part that I have used as HDD. I notice that it is possible to activate the FTP protocol and other interesting things. In this case, how does the FTP protocol work ???? I have a Davis weather station that is online 24 hours a day, if the FTP protocol works well I could automatically have a backup of all the measurements at regular intervals

You can access the drive via FTP to read or write or via SAMBA share to read or write. It's easy you just set it up on the GUI. Works well. I have my scanner send its scanned PDF files to the USB flash drive via SAMBA share and then I created a soft link to my OneDrive on my Windows desktop to have those backed up to OneDrive.

You can access the drive via FTP to read or write or via SAMBA share to read or write. It's easy you just set it up on the GUI. Works well. I have my scanner send its scanned PDF files to the USB flash drive via SAMBA share and then I created a soft link to my OneDrive on my Windows desktop to have those backed up to OneDrive.
First of all thanks for the reply. I activated FTP on the router and created a folder called 'Weather' inside the part of the SSD that I used as HDD. In LAN I have the weather station which can obviously also upload data via FTP. I have to provide these words to the control unit:

FTP Server, port:
User name:
Password:
Days:
full path:

User and password are obvious things. What about FTP Server, port: and full path?

First of all thanks for the reply. I activated FTP on the router and created a folder called 'Weather' inside the part of the SSD that I used as HDD. In LAN I have the weather station which can obviously also upload data via FTP. I have to provide these words to the control unit:

FTP Server, port:
User name:
Password:
Days:
full path:

User and password are obvious things. What about FTP Server, port: and full path?
I think something like:
FTP Server, port: IP_ADDR_OF_ROUTER:21
User name: admin
Password: ROUTER_PASSWORD
Days: <-- this will be something you need to look up
full path: /DISK_LABEL/Weather <-- you can find this by going to the FTP section in router then expanding the USB disk by hitting plus, then the level down is the DISK LABEL (For me is just -) and then you should see the folder(s) you created. You can test by logging in through Windows by opening file explorer then ftp://192.168.1.1 or whatever you router IP is.

Last edited:
I will take an SSD without an external power supply, hopefully it will go well. I will evaluate
mine has no psu either, its just a wd mypassport.

I have shared SSD on the network and my two linux Enigma 2 boxes use it without problems ... As for FTP, I'm working on it

Last edited:
Did you get the FTP to work with weather station?
Yes. The weather station is loading data every 15 minutes on the SSD itself. I have created a 'Weather' folder and everything works great. The station is connected to the router via wifi, so it is in the LAN network. It was just a matter of adjusting everything correctly. The station is online 24 hours a day, but if the internet is missing, I don't lose any data because it also saves on SSD