What's new

Questions from a new user

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Bob Waltenspiel

Occasional Visitor
I've recently installed Merlin 384.13 in a new 86U for an upgrade of my internet service to 1gbps. My old 68U has been setup as a mesh node. Everything is going well but I have a few questions, one big thing and other small things. A quick search of this forum found none of these mentioned.

The big thing: The web ui has become unresponsive. That is, using a browser to access the IP never loads. I am accessing it from a local machine using remote desktop. I know the unit is otherwise working as I am accessing a local machine remotely to type this message. The ASUS router app on my phone was working fine early today but now also fails (from a spot away from my home network, which surprised me that it worked at all).

Other than a reboot when I get home, what is going on here? Why has the webUI vanished?

Why does the iPhone app work when away from the LAN/WiFi?

I have it configured to not log out after a time of inactivity (time=0). Nonetheless, it seems to log out. Any ideas why this is happening?

Thanks for you help.

#2 I image for the same reason you're able to access LAN GUI now. The app is connecting through DDNS (away from home) rather than IP 192.168.x.x on your LAN.

#3 Could be many things;
a: If you reboot your router you'll need to log back in.
b: Password manager ext in your browser could be automatically logging you out.
c: accessing the router through different devices, locations, apps, browser's, trying to log in on 2 devices at once.

These are just some things that come to mind. Note your steps when you log in and when it kicks you out. What device you're using, type of connection(WAN, LAN), did you log out from another device you logged into the router. Personally I prefer to log in myself everytime. Let me know if any of that works :D

Last edited:
#2 I image for the same reason you're able to access LAN GUI now. The app is connecting through DDNS (away from home) rather than IP 192.168.x.x on your LAN.

Well, that's a bit alarming. I am able to access the LAN GUI because I'm accessing it from a computer on the LAN using the router name (or the LAN IP address). I don't want my router administration to be accessed from the WAN side.

I thought I had it set up to disallow WAN access. On the Admin page, System tab I have Service selected for "LAN only" and Allow SSH Port Forwarding set to No. Remote Access Config is set to No.

Looking at the iPhone app, it's telling me, though an "Insight" that I could make a more secure connection by changing to https. So does that mean it's now connecting through http and does so from the WAN? That's not good.

#3 Could be many things;

These are just some things that come to mind. Note your steps when you log in and when it kicks you out.

I think I've figure this one out. It logs me out of the website when the iPhone app connects.