What's new

R7000 and Apple IPhone update problem

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

JCF

New Around Here
I have a R7000 up to date firmware.
I have the 2.4 set on Channel 1.
Owned this since May of 2014.
Working well.
I have iPads and iPhones
Since I updated my iPhone 6. to OIS 9.2.1 from 8.2, when my iPhone is on Wifi (either 2.4 or 5) it knocks out the whole house wifi and makes it unusable.
If I turn off the iPhone 6 wifi everything goes back on line.
Does anyone have any idea what I can do to fix this,
There is nothing in the Netgear support forums on this problem.

I have a R7000 up to date firmware.
I have the 2.4 set on Channel 1.
Owned this since May of 2014.
Working well.
I have iPads and iPhones
Since I updated my iPhone 6. to OIS 9.2.1 from 8.2, when my iPhone is on Wifi (either 2.4 or 5) it knocks out the whole house wifi and makes it unusable.
If I turn off the iPhone 6 wifi everything goes back on line.
Does anyone have any idea what I can do to fix this,
There is nothing in the Netgear support forums on this problem.

1. Update your Iphone to the latest version 9.3
2. Be sure your router is set just to use 20 Mhz channel bandwidth on the 2.4 band
3. Try different channels on both bands
4. Change your SSID and then reassociate your Iphone with the WiFi network
If none of these suggestions help the only other thing I could recommend is to reset router to factory defaults and see if the problem goes away. If it does one of the settings you added is causing the problem and you will have to work through each setting one by one to isolate the problem.

Many thanks s for the post...I will ensure the Netgear team are aware.

Please let me know if you need any further support from Netgear..

You can also try to reset the network connections on the phone and forget your ssid of your router too.

I did do a network reset in the iPhone.
Further investigation reveals this.
First all my iPads and iPhones have been updated to OIS9.2.1
I have a iPad Air, ipad air2, iPhone 6, and a iPhone 6s.
When I changed my 2.4 channel to channel 1, I am now able to use my iPhone's and iPads on both the 2.4 and 5 wifi band.
If my iPhone or iPad is connected to the wifi and I plug it in, it knocks out the whole house wifi, once I turn off the wifi, everything reconnects.
It's very strange.

Haven't experienced that one...also have an R7000 and two iPhone 6's that were on iOS 9.2.1 and are now on iOS 9.3. Plus a couple of iPads on iOS 9.3. Never seen any global effects on the wireless when I connect my Apple devices (with any version of iOS) to the R7000.

Which firmware are you using on your R7000? I'm using XVortex asuswrt 380.58_0...Just curious which firmware and version that you're using? If you're using stock firmware, I never use that, so that may have something to do with it *smile*. Or not...

Note that there were a 3 versions of stock Netgear firmware that were posted, and now have been retracted. So please do give the version of Netgear firmware that you're using, if you're using stock.

I am on WW_DDRT but why would you have your iPhone-6 on the 2.4G band? Get it on the 5G band unless you may need every bit of range you can get. (Sorry... miss read original post)

Hey Roger, are you by chance using a VPN service on Vortex? I use Astrill but having issues staying connected the last month or so. If I disable the VPN all is well.

The problem only occurs when the apple product is plugged in now.
If any apple unit iPad/iPhone is plugged in and charging it knocks out my wifi. (2.4 or 5G)
If they are unplugged everything works.
If I turn off the wifi on the plugged in unit the wifi works.
My R 7000 firmware is Firmware Version
V1.0.4.30_1.1.67

This is crazy

The problem only occurs when the apple product is plugged in now.
If any apple unit iPad/iPhone is plugged in and charging it knocks out my wifi. (2.4 or 5G)
If they are unplugged everything works.
If I turn off the wifi on the plugged in unit the wifi works.
My R 7000 firmware is Firmware Version
V1.0.4.30_1.1.67

This is crazy

Some third party chargers and cables will cause erratic behavior in IOS devices. Particularly iPhones. Try a different charger. I have an iPhone 6 and an R7000 and never had any issues.

It's not a third party charger.
btw! I just installed a Netgear 3700 N600 DSL/router in my office.
The exact same thing happens when I have my iPhone connected to the network, the wifi is ok until I plug in my iPhone.
Then it knocks out the entire internet,
I turn of my plugged in iPhones wifi , everything reconnects and the Internet works again.
Absolutely weird.
Updated the iPhone to 9.3.1....still having this problem
OIS 8.2 did not cause this problem with my iPhone 6

I am on WW_DDRT but why would you have your iPhone-6 on the 2.4G band? Get it on the 5G band unless you may need every bit of range you can get. (Sorry... miss read original post)

Hey Roger, are you by chance using a VPN service on Vortex? I use Astrill but having issues staying connected the last month or so. If I disable the VPN all is well.

No, not using a VPN. My R7000 is doing great with XVortex 380.58, though. Again, no problems with several Apple clients. Don't understand what's happening with the OP. Must be something with stock firmware...