What's new

R7000 crashing from USB storage streaming

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

zuffy

New Around Here
Bought the R7000 a few weeks ago and upgraded to the latest firmware, V1.0.1.22_1.0.15, during the setup. I have a 2.5" USB 3 connected to the USB3 port. Speed is great, comparable to my Netgear Ultra4.

When I stream MKV files to the WD TV Live (1gb wired) via DLNA or network share, usually after about 30-60 minutes of viewing, the video would freeze. First, I thought the WD TV was overheating or something but then I noticed my internet is down and I can't ping the router anymore. Have to power off the router. If I start streaming video again, video would freeze again after about 5-15 minutes of viewing. Again, router crashes.

The router was not hot, only lite internet browsing.

Anyone else experiencing problems with USB storage in the R7000?

Also, want to add that I can stream the same videos with no problem from the Netgear Ultra4 NAS.

Hi,
Is the HDD powered by USB port or does it have it's own power supply? I have an impression USB powered HDD is not a choice for the router. I think this is mentioned
in the user manual. Also I notice Windows 7 and USB storage don't play well. Some
thing to do with NET BIOS. Windows 8, Vista, XP don't have this isssue.

It's powered by USB. If it's lacking power, I should only lose the drive, not crash the whole router. There is no Windows OS involved. Strictly the router and the WD TV Live media player. The WD device can access the videos via DLNA or network share from the R7000.

Hi,
You never know. Also there seem to be compatible drive list as well.

When I get a chance, I am going to try with a SSD in a 2.5" enclosure. Also, a flash drive. Neither one should consume much power from the USB port.

Updated to the latest firmware, V1.0.2.120_1.0.17. Doubt it has anything to do with USB but it can't hurt. Also, I changed the mode to AP instead of router. The Asus RT-N66U has a better interface and controls that just work. And the fact that I need AC speed more in the 1st floor than in the 2nd floor.

Now, let see how this will work.

the r7000 is a great piece of hardware with horrible software.

look up ddwrt for it. Kong has a stable version for it.

I also have problems with the R7000 when certain USB drives are attached. I have a Macaully USB 2.0 enclosure with a Samsung 3.5" drive mounted inside that gives this router fits. This same USB drive combo works marvelously with every other USB connecting device I own. However, if I plug it into either the front or rear USB port on the R7000 and subsequently begin to read or write to it things go wrong. Immediately the WAN connection drops but all of the LAN connections remain intact. Very strange. Even after drive access stops, the WAN connection is borked until the R7000 is powered off then back on again. I called Netgear Customer Support and they said that the device wasn't on their very short list of tested devices. So I am SOL. Technically speaking, in my case the USB drive is still functioning so it could be called "compliant." However, if using the USB features causes other major features to fail then the device is engineered wrong. If we are lucky a firmware update will correct this but I have the latest and still no-go. More than likely this is a hardware design issue that is unresolvable until a new version is shipped. I think we all deserve totally functioning units, compensation, or full refund. We are not beta testers for Netgear. anybody else agree?

Last edited: