What's new

R7000 & Netgear = Worthless. Next steps?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,
This is off topic but has some relation to this thread. We had first winter blast of this year over the week-end, quite a bit of snow and cold Northerly wind driving down wind chill factor. Lady across from our house was knocking at the door and when I answered, she said, "My friend's car won't start after visiting with me, can you help?"

I went out and took a look. She tried to start the engine with shift in D(drive). No wonder it won't start. Maybe sudden cold weather had
her brain sluggish in a hurry, LOL!

I agree! The original poster was frustrated with a few problems with his particular setup, and proceeded to post here and poor reviews of the product all over the net. Lets be honest, the new Asus product has allot more bugs than the r7000, and the r7000 is a better less buggy product as an initial release, to the point that the rt-ac68u as been pulled from the scene of most online sources such as Amazon and Newegg. I hope the original poster has returned his, and is somehow happier with the buggy Asus release....

I left reviews on 3 sites and my forum post here, which makes your "all over the net" comment certainly seem like a smear toward me. Two of these three review sites I have receipts from to prove I am a verified buyer, and both R7000's experienced the same problem. A handfull of people have since verified the same problem, which makes my review accurate and of course empirical.

Whether or not the router is worthless or not certainly can only be determined by how the realized bugs impact your own personal use cases. This is subjective and as a result I can understand and respect why some don't agree with me. No problem.

Also it's kind of funny because I'm listening to the new Arcade Fire album here and as the album ends "If telling the truth is not polite then I guess we'll have to fight." I don't really aim to fight, but I do feel I've told the truth.

Some other food for thought is no I have not tried the A68U yet because it has been unavailable from Amazon for quite some time now and my local Best Buy has yet to receive stock. I can't say for certain this is what happened, but if Asus pulled stock from the market due to bugs I think that's better than continuing to sell a buggy product isn't it?

It doesn't appear you can buy the A68U at Amazon, Best Buy, or Newegg right now. So supply is either terribly small or something else is happening. If someone can confirm that Asus did pull supply until they fix their problems please let me know because that's a bold response and one that would earn my respect.

Last edited:
Also it's kind of funny because I'm listening to the new Arcade Fire album here and as the album ends "If telling the truth is not polite then I guess we'll have to fight." I don't really aim to fight, but I do feel I've told the truth.

Some other food for thought is no I have not tried the A68U yet because it has been unavailable from Amazon for quite some time now and my local Best Buy has yet to receive stock. I can't say for certain this is what happened, but if Asus pulled stock from the market due to bugs I think that's better than continuing to sell a buggy product isn't it?

It doesn't appear you can buy the A68U at Amazon, Best Buy, or Newegg right now. So supply is either terribly small or something else is happening. If someone can confirm that Asus did pull supply until they fix their problems please let me know because that's a bold response and one that would earn my respect.

Why are you so eager to buy a new product that just came on the market and review it?

Most everyone on this forum knows that buying a new wireless router that just hits the market is probably going to have a few bugs. There's a few noobs that buy routers based on the first firmware release and expect it to work perfectly. Experienced users know better.

Since you've already disclosed in this thread that you live where there's heavy wireless congestion, and that you're frustrated with a brand new product with an early firmware release...... I think most forum members are taking your review with a grain of salt.

As you become more experienced with consumer wireless routers, I think you'll have a better understanding of what I'm talking about.

My advice is to wait 6 months after a product is released. Most of the bugs will be sorted out, plus you'll probably get it a little cheaper. ;)

Why are you so eager to buy a new product that just came on the market and review it?

I'm sure one could analyze the content of these forums and find a significant correlation between the frequency of requests to Tim to review a new piece of hardware (or Merlin to do a f/w for it) and the # of complaints there are once the hardware/firmware is in the hands of people. It's a maddening cycle to witness from the sidelines.

Last edited:
Well.. dare I say that the forum's most frequent visitors are tech-curious, bleeding edge, rather than those that just want an appliance?

Most everyone on this forum knows that buying a new wireless router that just hits the market is probably going to have a few bugs. There's a few noobs that buy routers based on the first firmware release and expect it to work perfectly. Experienced users know better.

Since you've already disclosed in this thread that you live where there's heavy wireless congestion, and that you're frustrated with a brand new product with an early firmware release...... I think most forum members are taking your review with a grain of salt.

As you become more experienced with consumer wireless routers, I think you'll have a better understanding of what I'm talking about.

My advice is to wait 6 months after a product is released. Most of the bugs will be sorted out, plus you'll probably get it a little cheaper. ;)

This is the second high end router I've bought, and as mentioned earlier the first was RT-N66U which ran in the same congested area without problem. Before that, some rent-a-router that also had no problems. So yeah I guess I'm a noob to the consumer router space, but it must be where all the subpar developers go to work because I'm hardly new to consumer electronics. I think people that flaunt credentials have little value to offer the world anyway, so if you want to think I'm an idiot I don't aim to change that here. Thanks for reading / responding though.

Edit: Also, I neglected to answer why I was so eager. I work out of my house and I'm on my phone 6-8 hours per day some weeks. I had hoped to improve my call quality over WiFi due to beamforming on my AC phone in my office (Note 3). Second reason is I have a brand new baby boy and I wanted the best possible signal throughout my house for his WiFi enabled monitor.

Last edited:
Agreed! And don't be so eager to slam a new product on its initial firmware with bad reviews, unless you just like to spew venom and have too much time on your hands. In other words your reviews as an impatient first firmware release buyer=worthless!

That's the great thing about the internet. However, I'd recommend you go check my account out on Amazon - it's the only review I've ever left and I've had the same account for at least 3 years now. So I definitely don't "like" to spew venom as you imply. In fact, I believe the pages of this thread since my initial post is further evidence of this. A lot of people have been throwing back handed insults my way and I've maintained composure and avoided being a delta bravo.

As this has become about me and my post and no longer the subject I'm hoping a moderator would just lock it. It no longer serves value to the community at this rate.

I deleted the content of my first post, but cannot delete the topic. I really enjoy this forum and all the value that comes from it and recognize my post is ruining that. If this thread could be closed I'd appreciate that. If not, this is the best I can do.

Edit: Also, I neglected to answer why I was so eager. I work out of my house and I'm on my phone 6-8 hours per day some weeks. I had hoped to improve my call quality over WiFi due to beamforming on my AC phone in my office (Note 3). Second reason is I have a brand new baby boy and I wanted the best possible signal throughout my house for his WiFi enabled monitor.
I too work at home. I have tried to use the company "PBX" softphone - VoIP or some such - from Avaya. Audio quality good (w/headset). But all too often, touch-tones (DTMF) I must use for conference calls and so on don't work. So I've more or less given up on it. I wish they did DTMF digits "out of band", meaning they send SIP data or some such instead of actual tones. My earlier adventures in home VoIP with an ATA had the same DTMF issues - several different ATAs, many tries at this and that. I don't have any trouble with DTMF now on cellular (which is done out of band) or TimeWarner's digital phone. Also FAX works on this digital phone whereas on generic internet VoIP, it didn't.
But, I digress.

Congratulations on the new baby!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!