What's new

R7000 (vortOx) GUI on R7800

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jay2020

Occasional Visitor
Hello im curious if r7800 will ever get a gui look alike such as merlon vortOx. r7000 has merlon wrt look tho, could r7800 have the same implemented?

Last edited:
Vortex is an unsupported fork of RMerlin's efforts...

R7800 has a Qualcomm Atheros chipset, and not supported in any way/shape/form...

Vortex is an unsupported fork of RMerlin's efforts...

R7800 has a Qualcomm Atheros chipset, and not supported in any way/shape/form...
its a darn shame that the R7800 has a Qualcomm Atheros chipset and drivers or source files are open source for better tweaking?

This is perhaps the best firmware for R7800:

R7800 is very capable hardware router even today. One of the best AC-class routers.
I see, so going from R7000 to the R7800 is a good jump or should I just go with the Asus RT-AC3100? is the ac3100 better or par with r7800?

If you want Asus and longer firmware updates you have to go with AX-class router. AC-class routers won't be getting 388 firmware update. Perhaps some security updates on 386 firmware on some critical vulnerabilities. No more 386 firmware new features, on life support.

If you want Asus and longer firmware updates you have to go with AX-class router. AC-class routers won't be getting 388 firmware update. Perhaps some security updates on 386 firmware on some critical vulnerabilities. No more 386 firmware new features, on life support.
I don't care much for updates, I'm more concerned of longevity, stability, reliability and most of all performance. for both 2.5ghz and 5ghz in 10ft and 40ft distance in AC routers i do not plan to go AX any time soon

Well - with Netgear, you have a couple of options...

You have Voxel's firmware, which I'm told is quite good... it doesn't go too far off the range...

Other choice would be OpenWRT - there are community builds that are reverse engineering a lot of the QCA special sauce with ath10k and the NSS sub-system support.

OpenWRT can be a hair shirt, and not recommended for neophytes - that being said, it does leverage into the OpenWRT ecosystem and all that it offers...

One thing to note - Vortex is an illegal fork on the R7000 due to non-GPL code in the AsusWRT core SW, this is third party licensed code for Asus devices...

So enough about Vortex ok?

Well - with Netgear, you have a couple of options...

You have Voxel's firmware, which I'm told is quite good... it doesn't go too far off the range...

Other choice would be OpenWRT - there are community builds that are reverse engineering a lot of the QCA special sauce with ath10k and the NSS sub-system support.

OpenWRT can be a hair shirt, and not recommended for neophytes - that being said, it does leverage into the OpenWRT ecosystem and all that it offers...

One thing to note - Vortex is an illegal fork on the R7000 due to non-GPL code in the AsusWRT core SW, this is third party licensed code for Asus devices...

So enough about Vortex ok?
Thank you for the advice, but i did hear that Openwrt has no acceleration? Not sure what that really means or how it affects downloads or uploads? But Voxel does have acceleration.

Thank you for the advice, but i did hear that Openwrt has no acceleration? Not sure what that really means or how it affects downloads or uploads? But Voxel does have acceleration.

There are "community" builds on OpenWRT that are enabling the NSS acceleration - it's a complex task, and folks are working on it.